Stubborn Outside Corgi

This is a discussion on Stubborn Outside Corgi within the Behavioral Issues forums, part of the Behavior & Training category; Hmm where to start...Well, I just got my corgi last week and everything is fine except, when we take him ...

Join Date Jul 2009
    Posts 1

Stubborn Outside Corgi

Hmm where to start...Well, I just got my corgi last week and everything is fine except, when we take him for walks. He will walk with us sometimes and about the other half of the time he will just plop himself on the ground like a stubborn 3 year old just like this He even sometimes refuses to go out in the sun.Yes, he is afraid of the sun. You can tug him all you want, even treating him when he gets up and walk. He eventually ignores the treats and stares off into space. Hes extremely terrified of other dogs,passerbyers,cyclers and cars. When he sees any of them he plops himself down and wont budge. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break this habit?
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Richmond
    Posts 523
    Hmm where to start...Well, I just got my corgi last week and everything is fine except, when we take him for walks. He will walk with us sometimes and about the other half of the time he will just plop himself on the ground like a stubborn 3 year old just like this He even sometimes refuses to go out in the sun.Yes, he is afraid of the sun. You can tug him all you want, even treating him when he gets up and walk. He eventually ignores the treats and stares off into space. Hes extremely terrified of other dogs,passerbyers,cyclers and cars. When he sees any of them he plops himself down and wont budge. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break this habit?
    If you have a bike, or a friend that he hasn't met. Have them run or ride by. And give him treats when he does good. You can have him sit and watch you as the person passes.

He may not like the sun because it's hot.

How old is the puppy? Was he leash trained? If not, you can see how to properly under another thread about inside and outside.
    Join Date Jul 2009
    Posts 40
    Dog(s): Jackson
    Jackson was like that!!! They do just plop down, in the SHADE of course. haha.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location East Tennessee
    Posts 784
    It might help it everyone knew his age. The older they get the harder it is to socialize them and if he's, say six months or more and never been around many sights and sounds other than where he was raised it's going to take a while to get use to all those knew scents, sights and sounds.

When I first got Bubba he wouldn't go near the garbage can outside-a big green monster. I'd stop by it on the way back from a walk and he's freeze in his tracks on leash. Slowly I'd get him to get a little closer each time we'd go walking as we passed close by it and eventually he would go right up to it. Whatever his fears and anxieties there is but one antedote-patience, and lots of it. So much depends on how he was raised. If primarily in the home and only taken out for short play breaks and potty time never seeing the city and only being around other Corgis and the same few people it's going to take him longer. Again, patience with proper training and exposure is the key. Don't yell at him or jerk him around as that will only instill fear and avoidance of you, in some cases, and you'll no longer be his "pack leader" but someone he views as unstable. Be cool and take take with him to help him overcome his worries and uncertainties and he'll be fine.

I'd expose him to every possible situation and condition slowly until he's comfortable that the world is not a bad place to be in. Regardless of his background to a degree, all of them are like us with their own personalities so expect that-even from the same litter. One of his brothers or sisters may have a more bubbly personality and thinks everyone he passes should pet him and give him a treat. Next time you go for a walk and he shuts down, have an empty bag of Doritos in your pocket and open it to let him have a sniff as you slowly move forward. I believe that may motivate him to get up and follow the scent and will get him going. Another thing is to just talk to him as you pat him on the butt to get him up and going as you start moving forward. In short, just give him time and be patient. Give him guidance and direction and he'll come around.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Midwest
    Posts 641

Mine used to do the same thing, plop down and didn't want to move or rolled on his back in the road. Used encouragment, treats, sometimes his favorite ball to get him moving, Stay positive. Are you walking him on a really busy street? If you can I would use mini treats to re-focus him when you see a car or dog that will soon be passing by.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    Hmm where to start...Well, I just got my corgi last week and everything is fine except, when we take him for walks. He will walk with us sometimes and about the other half of the time he will just plop himself on the ground like a stubborn 3 year old just like this
    I'll have to add to the others that said we need to know his age.

He even sometimes refuses to go out in the sun.Yes, he is afraid of the sun.
    He's not afraid of it, it's probably too hot for him. What color is he?

You can tug him all you want, even treating him when he gets up and walk. He eventually ignores the treats and stares off into space. Hes extremely terrified of other dogs,passerbyers,cyclers and cars. When he sees any of them he plops himself down and wont budge. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break this habit?
    Again, his age could make a big difference here. How old his he? The advice we give might be different depending on his age. What I'd suggest for a puppy and for an adult dog will be a bit different.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com