Bark... Bark... Bark....

This is a discussion on Bark... Bark... Bark.... within the Behavioral Issues forums, part of the Behavior & Training category; So I have 2 pups, 4 months old (on Thursday). Ruby - rarely ever barks, only when she hears an ...

Join Date Nov 2009
    Location London
    Posts 93

Arrow Bark... Bark... Bark....

So I have 2 pups, 4 months old (on Thursday).

Ruby - rarely ever barks, only when she hears an alarm go off or when she sees smoke (wierd).

But Millie - oh what a contrast! She barks when she plays.. She barks when she's relaxing.. She just barks and barks and barks. Funny thing is, she doesn't do it for attention. She will sit quietly next to the pot of treats when she wants one, stops barking after a few minutes when we leave the house (if even at all) etc etc. It's as if she loves the sound of her own voice! She rolls around on the floor after her meals just barking to herself. She barks in the morning - but it's not to be let out of her crate to go outside, it's purely because she's awake and is relaxing on her back and barking. You can even tell from the look on her face when she's about to start.

Is this a common corgi thing/puppy thing?
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Posts 148
    I think that's absolutely adorable.. but also probably extremely annoying.. My corgis definitely do not do this though I was told when I was looking into getting one over 2 years ago that they are very talkative..

My Bean will lay there and growl.. he growls at everything. not visciously.. but just like a grumble to communicate everything.. Unless you put your shoes on.. then he goes nuts~!
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Missoula, MT
    Posts 29
    Abby is just like that. Bark, bark, bark. We live in an apartment and while I'm not so concerned with the neighbors (their dog howls afterall) it's very loud! That dog has some lungs on her. She's very talkative and very barky. But she's also my sweet baby and I wouldn't change her a bit.

I've made pretty good progress on teacher her to be quiet when I ask her too but I can only get her to stop after she's started. It hasn't made any diffrence in how often she barks in the first place.
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Richmond
    Posts 523
    Gizmo likes to talk A LOT. And Gizmo is about a year and four months old. He barks when he plays usually only. Or if there is someone outside.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,634
    It's as if she loves the sound of her own voice!
    Or they bark because they can! Pip was a little barker, when he was a puppy. I worked alot with him and he greatly improved...until a noisy neighbor with a VERY barky miniature schnauzer moved in. Now it's back to the drawing board.
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Location Northeast TN
    Posts 2,760
    Our Taffy Too Little is a barker and a bossy little girl at that so she combines her barking with bossing my boys and Tank around. I haven't found a solution to getting her to stop except to change her focus. We love her though. She is two years old and will be starting obedience class in the spring.
    Bonnie

A Good Home, Loving Family and Three Loyal Corgis at my feet - I am truly Blessed.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Naples, Italy
    Posts 45
    Dog(s): Butterscotch
    Butterscotch is a barker too... She loves to communicate. Usually its just little quiet "under her breath" barks but she is very vocal.
    My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise. ~Author Unknown
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts 3
    Dog(s): Ein...... or Einers..... or Ein-a-bobo's.... little bear
    Ein does the little chicken "bucks"
    Join Date Jun 2007
    Location Omaha, NE
    Posts 339
    Both of our dogs are barkers, but certainly Suki more than Ein. And unfortunately once Suki gets started Ein is more than happy to join in. The problem I'm trying to figure out is how to discipline Suki without confusing Ein at the same time. Example:

Whenever Ein has a toy, either through playing fetch or just playing by himself, Suki just stands there and barks at him. It's an excited "I want to play/I want the toy" bark. Her tail is wagging and she's certainly not threatening Ein....she just wants the toy for herself. The problem is that when I try and correct her Ein thinks I'm correcting him as well and he'll just walk away from the toy all confused. Then of course Suki zooms in and takes it. We've tried just playing with her to correct her that way but she doesn't act that way when Ein isn't there.
    We have two Corgi's:
    Ein
    Suki
    www.CorgiTails.com
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location Las Vegas, NV
    Posts 195
    Dog(s): Izi
    Izi is a barker. She barks when she plays, when she wants to be played with, when it's time to get up in the morning, and birds....pretty much all day. Lol. She's a talker....
    ~Jacki~
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location London
    Posts 93
    Both of our dogs are barkers, but certainly Suki more than Ein. And unfortunately once Suki gets started Ein is more than happy to join in. The problem I'm trying to figure out is how to discipline Suki without confusing Ein at the same time. Example:

Whenever Ein has a toy, either through playing fetch or just playing by himself, Suki just stands there and barks at him. It's an excited "I want to play/I want the toy" bark. Her tail is wagging and she's certainly not threatening Ein....she just wants the toy for herself. The problem is that when I try and correct her Ein thinks I'm correcting him as well and he'll just walk away from the toy all confused. Then of course Suki zooms in and takes it. We've tried just playing with her to correct her that way but she doesn't act that way when Ein isn't there.
    i was laughing when i read this because millie does the EXACT thing, as soon as i get up to correct her ruby backs off and millie runs off with the toy/treat. ive been able to sort millie out somewhat, i never let her get away with it. always go after her and make her drop whatever shes taken and give it back to ruby. id say shes 60% better now.
    Join Date Aug 2010
    Posts 22
    Boycie is a talker. He grumbles, whines, barks for all sorts of reasons -- he's just a character!
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Salem, NH
    Posts 627
    yup...our two talk in their own ways for their own reasons...cammie more obnoxious than colby, but we love her still
    Take Care~Teach a Child!

Colby's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/689883

Cammie's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/712916
    Join Date Oct 2010
    Location Okalhoma City
    Posts 2
    Blog Entries 1
    Dog(s): Jake
    My 4year old male Jake barks to excess if allowed. I've tried all the training tricks ,but nothing worked, untill I apealed to his favorate thing ....Food. I give the command to come when he does it quickly he gets a treat. Some how this interuption will stop his barking. I think it is a Corgi thing.
    Join Date Sep 2010
    Location EC
    Posts 18
    Dog(s): Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Zeta just started barking repeatedly at night, right when I'm trying to relax and watch TV.

I have no idea why she started doing this. I think she wants to make my life as miserable as possible.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: