Chewing on paws

This is a discussion on Chewing on paws within the Behavioral Issues forums, part of the Behavior & Training category; Does anyone know how to prevent a pup from chewing on their upper paws? Henri is an active dog and ...

Join Date Dec 2009
    Location Austin, TX
    Posts 29
    Dog(s): Henry

Chewing on paws

Does anyone know how to prevent a pup from chewing on their upper paws? Henri is an active dog and we go outside alot, I don't know if the ants are getting to him but he is chewing his paws ALOT. I'm starting to get worried because they are scabbing in areas under the fur. I will probably take him to the vet soon if it doesn't get any better but I don't know if ya'll have ever had this problem? He is on a raw diet and we have only noticed this problem recently....

Thanks!
    Anna G
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    It could possibly be due to an allergy, have you changed anything you're feeding him recently?
    Join Date Dec 2009
    Location Austin, TX
    Posts 29
    Dog(s): Henry
    well thats what I thought at first but we haven't changed anything in his diet. The red ants are out and about in texas so that's what i was thinkin it was possibly
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    Could be a contact dermatitis. An allergy to something he gets on his feet that makes them itch. Grass, etc.

I think having the vet have a look is a good idea. Esp. if he's getting scabs from the chewing.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location Federal Way Washington
    Posts 153
    My cardi has the same annoying habit - but its excessive licking of the underside of his paws...its usually an early morning, post breakfast, issue. He also eats raw. I just figured he licked the paws because that's the only part of his body he could easily reach! He hasn't broken the skin or caused scabs to form; he is an in-door dog, and doesn't get exposed to ants or things.

Sorry I can't offer much more than to say I deal with it,too.
    Join Date Jun 2010
    Posts 2
    I had a foster just come in that has horrible foot infections that is causing her to chew/lick like crazy. Is the bottom of his bad thickened? (We can easily feel the individual toes on our healthy corgi, on the infected corgi you cannot feel the toes on the bottom of the pad)
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    My cardi has the same annoying habit - but its excessive licking of the underside of his paws...its usually an early morning, post breakfast, issue. He also eats raw. I just figured he licked the paws because that's the only part of his body he could easily reach! He hasn't broken the skin or caused scabs to form; he is an in-door dog, and doesn't get exposed to ants or things.
    He may be an indoor dog but surely he goes outside to potty? So still possible to get something on his feet that make them itch.

Corgis can reach more than just their paws to lick or bite. I've seen hot spots develop on the hips, back, side, etc. and they make them worse by biting or licking them.

With dogs, allergies often come out as skin problems, and yes, quite often on the feet. So look at what they might be walking in or eating. Even raw fed dogs can be allergic to something in their diet.

And yes, occasionally, licking/chewing of paws can be an OCD thing.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location Las Vegas, NV
    Posts 195
    Dog(s): Izi
    Izi has just recently started doing this. She use to lick her paws when she woke up and then before bed, but since getting back from Tennessee she has started obsessively chewing and licking on her left front one. She makes this really frustrated noises as she licks and chews. She uses the litter box here so she doesn't go outside, so I'm baffled as to why this now just started.....
    ~Jacki~