Human sneezes, dogs reaction ??

This is a discussion on Human sneezes, dogs reaction ?? within the Behavioral Issues forums, part of the Behavior & Training category; Every once in a while I sneeze very loudly. Sometimes a few times in a row. When I do Bailey ...

Join Date Oct 2006
    Posts 188

Human sneezes, dogs reaction ??

Every once in a while I sneeze very loudly. Sometimes a few times in a row. When I do Bailey seems very concerned. For example, if I am on the couch he climbs into my lap and would almost sit on my head if possible. He climbs right up onto me. He will lick my face a few times. Also he will put his head under my chin. Not as if he was being dominant. He keeps his ears back while he does this
    he almost looks as if he is worried about me. He will stay for a while if I let him.

What do you think is going through his mind? I'm in pain? Wants to help me? Thinks I yelled at him? Wants to keep me in the pack and not fight??
    I think he thinks I yelled at him and he is being submissive enough to not fight.
    At the same time saying I care about you. I think he's worried about me.
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Under the big sky of Montana
    Posts 706
    Dog(s): Miss Panda Pooh

Lol!!!!!

Every once in a while I sneeze very loudly. Sometimes a few times in a row. When I do Bailey seems very concerned. For example, if I am on the couch he climbs into my lap and would almost sit on my head if possible. He climbs right up onto me. He will lick my face a few times. Also he will put his head under my chin. Not as if he was being dominant. He keeps his ears back while he does this
    he almost looks as if he is worried about me. He will stay for a while if I let him.

What do you think is going through his mind? I'm in pain? Wants to help me? Thinks I yelled at him? Wants to keep me in the pack and not fight??
    I think he thinks I yelled at him and he is being submissive enough to not fight.
    At the same time saying I care about you. I think he's worried about me.
    Ditto to all of the above! Our Border Collie, Moss, will run whining from wherever he is and from whatever he is doing, in a complete panic, when someone sneezes. He is then nuzzling, wiggling, crying and carrying on as if in complete despair for you because of the noise you just made. Our Corgi, Miss Panda Pooh, has begun to join in and is in complete sympathy with Moss. They will BOTH now run at you and bowl you over as if to try to rescue you from what whatever you are ailing from. Moss is a bonafide worry-wart ... Miss Panda Pooh loves to join in the chaos. It is a complete hoot!
    Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz
    Join Date Jul 2006
    Location SE New Hampshire
    Posts 677
    Great to see you back!!!

I think Bailey is just checking to see if you're OK

No sneezing worries but if you slip and fall out side on the ice - you should see how fast Byron and Fergie get there to make sure you're OK
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    What do you think is going through his mind? I'm in pain? Wants to help me?
    I vote for this option, too! When I first got Pip and coughed, he would run to me with the utmost concern and sniff my neck/chest area. He came from a house with older people, so I often wondered if someone maybe had a health concern Pip "knew" about. He stopped doing that after a while, but if I sneeze forcefully he will look at me with a "what was THAT?!" or "are you ok?" look. I can't decide which it is.
    Great to see you back!!!
    I second that!!!
    No sneezing worries but if you slip and fall out side on the ice - you should see how fast Byron and Fergie get there to make sure you're OK
    Byron and Fergie need to have a talk with Pip! I fell down, flat on my back, wind knocked out of me, in the middle of a snowy street. Pip kept on walking, without any notice, until he ran out of leash. His corgi BFF was super concerned and tried to drag her owner over to my position to check things out. Pip just sat at the end of his leash and waited (I swear) impatiently to get moving again!
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,745
    Bailey!!!! Where have you been hiding? It's been way too long.

Nothing about sneezing, just wanted to say hello!
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 382
    So why don't they care when a dog sneezes? or a cat? Are we just so much louder?
    Sofapup
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Location .Massachusetts
    Posts 1,301
    Dog(s): Kayli
    I can sneeze as much as I like and Duchess can care less. When a man sneezes though she attacks by grabbing a pantleg. We have worked her out of actually getting her mouth around the leg but she is telling the man definitely he is not supposed to sneeze. Even a loud sneeze from a passenger in a car along the road will cause her to want to run after the vehicle. She is always leashed so she can't just take off toward the cars.
    Duchess seems to take a man's sneeze as a threat to me. June
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location SGV
    Posts 56
    Dog(s): Peanut
    i think this post is very cute and i believe you got a very loyal companion there <3
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location CT
    Posts 151
    Dog(s): Cory
    I feel so unloved now... Cory doesn't even flinch lol