Class Action Lawsuit: Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, etc.

This is a discussion on Class Action Lawsuit: Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, etc. within the Diet & Nutrition forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; There is currently a class action lawsuit being filed against several large pet food producers for the generally disgusting stuff ...

Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 38

Angry Class Action Lawsuit: Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet, etc.

There is currently a class action lawsuit being filed against several large pet food producers for the generally disgusting stuff often included in the food. If you haven't read other reports already you may be in for an upsetting surprise. Anyway, if you've fed one of these foods and feel you were cheated into thinking it was healthy, you may be interested in signing up.

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Pet Food Companies

Sheba
    Whiskas
    Pedigree
    Royal Canin
    Eukanuba
    Iams
    Science Diet
    Prescription Diet
    Kibbles 'n Bits
    Milkbone
    Pupperoni
    Meaty Bone
    Snausages
    Natures Recipe
    Gravy Train
    K9 Carry Outs
    Meow Mix
    9 Lives
    Pounce
    Alpo
    Beneful
    Purina Cat Chow
    Purina Dog Chow
    Fancy Feast
    Felix
    Friskies
    Purina Gourmet
    Purina One
    Purina Pro Plan
    Nutro Max
    Nutro Ultra (Holistic)
    Nutro Natural Choice
    Greenies (treats)
    Nutro Max Cat
    Nutro Complete Care (cat)
    Nutro Feline Greenies (treats)

Don't read this part if you have a weak stomach:

The approximate $58,000,000,000 spent by consumers on pet food over the last
    four years has been without the knowledge that the “wholesome,” “quality,” “premium” or
    “gourmet” food that they are feeding their companion animals was made wholly or partially of
    inedible garbage unfit for human consumption, including, but not limited to, restaurant grease,
    roadkill, hair, blood, pus, esophagi, chicken heads, feet and intestines, cow brains, excrement,
    fetal tissue, moldy grains, hulls, styrofoam packaging from discarded supermarket meat,
    euthanized animals, including cats and dogs, and/or diseased, dying, disabled and dead animals.
    Last edited by maisy; 02-03-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Ridgefield, WA
    Posts 85
    Dog(s): Cleopatra
    Thanks for the post! I am signing up, I fed my pups Nurto Natural Choice puppy food and they were sick for months (bloody diarrhea and vomiting) with no explanation from the vet! After switching foods, there were no more problems. This is so gross, I am glad I made a switch to better food, it is definately worth the money to keep these guys healthy. How scary!
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 38
    I signed up too. I fed my last dog Nutro Natural Choice, she had many health issues. I read some reports about what's in dog food after she died but before buying my current dogs so I've had my two girls on very high quality kibble and home made foods since they were tiny pups.
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 38
    Oh yeah, the link above contains a tv interview with the president of the AAFCO admiting pet foods may actually contain.....uh....pets. Maybe that's the truth in their advertising? Sorry for that, couldn't resist.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Ha! As a disturbing corollary, Consumer Reports March 2009, published an article which insinuates that one food is pretty much as good as another as long as the label states nutritional adequacy was validated by AAFCO. Good grief! What a huge step backwards for consumer education (and pet health)!

The CR report does note that they interviewed 8 nutrition experts - 7 of which have had funding from the pet food industry. But I expect most readers will miss the point that these "experts" were educated and paid for by the pet food producers.

Link:
    Pet food prices, what you get by spending more

Already other media are spreading the "great news" that cheap pet food can be as good as a quality pet food if you look for the AAFCO statement. Holy cow...

Associated Link:
    DC Dogs Examiner: Higher priced pet food worth it? Consumer Reports weighs in.

I used to respect Consumer Reports. Talk about buyer beware!
    Last edited by MyPemCharlie; 02-04-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location Dallas, TX
    Posts 35
    wow, interesting stuff. We buy Iams and Purina for the pets!
    "Corgis are Olympic quality shedders. This is good. One Corgi will shed enough to assemble another Corgi in about a week. There are never too many Corgis."
    P_J
    Join Date Dec 2008
    Location Vancouver, WA
    Posts 453
    Dog(s): Jordi & Zero
    Sick.... glad to know that $60 per 18LB bag I pay for a specialty diet is such great stuff! *is my sarcasm showing?*
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 61
    Dog(s): Ein
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

We feed our cat (and now dog) Eukanuba. Had a bad experience with Science Diet, but am concerned to see both on this list.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location East Tennessee
    Posts 785
    Once again this makes me glad I've always fed Innova and occasionally the "old" formulated Canidae or CA Natural.
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Location Los Angeles, CA
    Posts 919
    There was maggots in the last bag of Purina I bought from PetSmart. I'm fully switched to Innova now for both Buster & Corgi.
    Buster's trick Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41im4myeLcI

-chill