Like Tree21Likes

Overweight Corgi

This is a discussion on Overweight Corgi within the Diet & Nutrition forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; I have an overweight corgi named Ginger. She is a female pembroke welsh corgi and she is fixed. She gets ...

Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Florida
    Posts 81
    Dog(s): Ginger

Overweight Corgi

I have an overweight corgi named Ginger. She is a female pembroke welsh corgi and she is fixed. She gets plenty of exercise and playtime but she doesn't seem to be loosing weight. I have had her on many different dog foods such as purina pro plan weight management, science diet weight management and I tried wellness whitefish and sweet potato (she didn't like the fish). Now she is on science diet again and this time it is the small bites regular. What should I do? I really need some dog food recommendations for my Ginger.
    Join Date Jul 2006
    Location SE New Hampshire
    Posts 675
    What does she weight/how much do you feed her?
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,715
    The green bean diet does wonders. Forget all those so called weight management dog foods. Get a good quality dog food, and give her 1/2 cup green beans and 1/2 cup of dog food. The green beans with help fill her up without calories. It does take a while, but it does work.

As for Science Diet food, believe it or not, it's not rated that high. Here is a website to help with deciding what dog food to getL
    Dog Food Reviews - Dry Dog Foods - Powered by ReviewPost
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Florida
    Posts 81

She weighs...

She weighs about 40 pounds and the vet says she needs to weigh 25 pounds. She is constant breathing very heavy like she has ran a marathon even though she has been sleeping.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    How much do you feed her per day?
    Join Date Jul 2006
    Location SE New Hampshire
    Posts 675
    The heavy breathing is a real concern.

Like Lou Ann said - the Green Bean Diet.

My Byron, who is a big guy at 38 Lbs (even the Vet even says he's big boned), gets a 1/4 of Natural Balance Reduce Calorie, 1/4 can of green beens (Low Sodium French Cut), and a piece od low sodium deli ham twice a day. Treats - a dingo bone mini and some old mother hubbard mini biscuts. This keeps him in check.
    Join Date Dec 2010
    Location Central Valley, CA
    Posts 134
    Not sure if you feed treats but if you do I would totally cut out treats for now. If you need them for training purposes try baby carrots or green beans.

For foods try Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Fromm, or something along those lines. I would try to go grain free as grains are carbs and carbs = weight gain. I wouldn't feed over 1/2 a cup per meal and you'll probably take it down to a 1/4 cup with green beans like pat_m.
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Florida
    Posts 81
    For the green bean diet, is that for the entire day or is that for the morning and night?
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Florida
    Posts 81
    How is Wellness? I don't really care for Natural Balance, thank you for the suggestion. I feed Ginger twice a day. I feed her 3/4 a cup in the morning and 3/4 a cup at night.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    First suggestion : don't feed a "Diet " food.. all of those have fillers and added sugars and grains.. it is junk.. I would feed a high quality food.. the wellness is a good food. There are a lot of really good foods out there.. Fromms springs to mind as there are a lot of people here who feed it ( i do ), Grain free foods are great but with my two, it is too rich for them and they get the runs from it.. additionally they often have more calories for a smaller amount.. which can be an issue with heavier dogs that want FOOD.

The biggest question here is the how much you are feeding.. if you are following the recommendations on the bag of food for feeding, then you are totally over feeding your dog. My boys are active, get walked 3 miles a day plus play time and they eat 1/2 a cup twice a day. If you are giving a lot of treats, that can pack the weight on as well..or giving too many people food snacks as well. If my boys ate the amount recommended on the bag, they would be eating nearly double what the eat now and would be HUGE.

You can try the "green bean diet" which is basically that you cut the food back a little and replace it with unsalted green beans ( some people buy canned but the kind without added salt and others will buy fresh frozen to use for this) You don't want to drastically reduce the amount of food too fast.. losing weight is important but going too fast is not good..

Good luck getting that weight off... I am sure that she will feel so much better once that weight comes off.

Emilie
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 776
    Dog(s): Galahad
    That sounds like a lot of food for an adult corgi. Don't follow the directions on the bag they are usually recommending feeding much more than is actually needed.

I would recommend cutting back to max of 1/2 cup per meal (assuming 2 meals a day). Cut treats for now or if you're actively training just use one of her meals as training treats. Green beans are a good filler to add bulk to the meal to help corgis transition to smaller feedings.

I haven't tried Wellness personally but you want to make sure you get a high quality kibble. Take a look here: Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Try to find a 4 or 5 star kibble, they will have much less fillers that are probably contributing to your dogs weight issues. Some of the foods may seem pricier but you will be able to feed a lot less because there are more calories/nutrients with less filler.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    Wellness is fine. I would cut her food down to 1/2 cup right away and see if she loses weight on that amount. You can supplement a handful of frozen green beans to help bulk it up so she feels more full.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,569
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Losing weight on a Corgi is easy because the owner controls the food given and the amount and quality of exercise. The ratio to losing weight is 66% food and 33% exercise and you can't do one without the other. Food dieting relates to lower calories and cutting down on the quantity of food given per day. The exercising pattern should be an hour a day of organised exercise which means brisk walking combined with some power walking not forgetting that its your Corgi's walk and she will want to stop for smelling/scenting at least occasionally. I would also twice weekly extend the hour's on or off leash walk to upwards of 2 hours.
    The person who said your Corgi should be around 25 pounds instead of 40 lbs is probably right on the button.
    My adult Pembroke male iweighs 28 pounds and is at the higher end of the UK/Aust/NZ standard for Pems in size. He gets most days two large biscuits for lunch and three quarters of a standard cup of dry food ( these days the dry kibble is the celebrated Canadian product, Orijen) complemented with half a cup of diced cooked meat and/or mainly raw pieces of veggies But if he was needing to diet, the food quantities would be less. And I would put a Corgi needing to lose 15lbs on a very restricted diet. The thing about giving your Corgi food - most owners just don't add up all the extra bits of food - mostly fattening, iunhealthy and un-necessary bits - that their Corgis get during a normal day.
    Diet dry or wet food prescribed by a vet would certainly be a low calories product and is well worth obtaining so long as you stick to the quantity levels the vet would recommend.
    A 80 year old woman followed my advice about eight months ago for her very obese rescued female Pem Corgi and today that Corgi is just about perfect and she is so happy (the Pem I mean) and full of life and not the doormat who struggled to walk for 15 minutes let alone an hour.
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 9
    My corgi eats a ton and it seems that she dont gain any weight
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,569
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Foxy Corgi - You might like to expand on details regarding your posting.

Generally speaking the more you feed a dog and the more calories he/she gets, the more their weight increases and they go from being overweight to obesity or gross obesity.
    Of course organised daily exercise has a significant bearing - the more intensive the exercising, the more food intake is possible without weight increase. There are the very odd exceptions to this but generally there are serious health issues to dogs who are underweight or are actually losing weight or are not gaining weight despite being over-fed.

Is your Corgi already overweight? Your saying "ton" (of food) implies anything goes - and this is very naughty and unhelpful to the health of your Corgi - immediate or in the future.

It seems most dog owners don't actually know or realise that their dogs are overweight and part of the reason for this is that the gradual increasing weight makes them (the dogs) seem "normal" to their owners in weight ratio to size.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: