Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gally
  • 1 Post By Gally

Corgi Savvy

This is a discussion on Corgi Savvy within the Dog Training forums, part of the Behavior & Training category; I have a 5 month old corgi who acts like almost any other corgi out there, and definitely has some ...

Join Date Feb 2013
    Posts 1

Corgi Savvy

I have a 5 month old corgi who acts like almost any other corgi out there, and definitely has some behavioral issues. I looked it up, and came accross this book called "Corgi Savvy". I was wondering if anyone used this book, and if it did or did not work. Or what ways you've used to train your corgi.
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 780
    Dog(s): Galahad
    I think you'd be better off spending your money on training classes.

ETA: We only use positive training methods. There are lots of great free resources online as well as in books if you want.

Kikopup aka Emily Larlham is a great clicker trainer and has how to videos for pretty much anything you could want to train: http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

Ian Dunbar is a well respected positive trainer. He has two free books you can read for puppy raising: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/you-get-your-puppy
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...get-your-puppy

For training books I recommend: The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
    Last edited by Gally; 02-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Peggy likes this.
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 780
    Dog(s): Galahad
    With a little research I see that the Corgi Savvy book is probably just a marketing scheme. From reviews it is just a general dog training book with the word dog replaced with corgi. There is a whole series of them where they just change the breed name.

Great Dane Training Savvy
    Pug Training Savvy
    Dachshund Training Savvy
    Join Date Apr 2013
    Posts 153
    I can't say enough about finding a *good* dog/animal behaviorist and getting into obedience classes. We have another dog besides our corgi pup - a two year old Doxie, and they are definitely not for the faint of heart. We were having a number of behavior issues with him - excessive barking, nervousness, some destructiveness and bolting - we got in with a fantastic behaviorist in our area for one private lesson, and since we've been doing group classes and we have a different dog now. The tools she gave us have helped tremendously in helping our corgi pup adjust and learn the ropes.

Another tip is to give him a job, and keep things really positive. We have our older dog 'work' for his food (obviously not appropriate for a puppy) by feeding exclusively through treating toys, and it's helped his anxiety a great deal by giving him a place to put his energy, and having a positive reward for it. Purebreds especially need jobs - they have deeply ingrained instincts and those instincts should be considered. Even if the job is to go find his food or to figure out a puzzle for a reward, it helps wind down that energy.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your puppy!