Grooming

This is a discussion on Grooming within the General Corgi Discussions forums, part of the General category; I'm have noticed that Cooper has been sheeding alot so we took him down to Snoopy's Dog house and had ...

Join Date Jul 2006
    Location Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts 33

Talking Grooming

I'm have noticed that Cooper has been sheeding alot so we took him down to Snoopy's Dog house and had him groom in the Fall. Well it late summer and his hair has grown back so we decieded to give it a try again.

He was so happy to get his hair cut , he was jumping around and running rolling over the ground. He looks more comfortable so I think that this will be a usual grooming every year spring and fall cuts. just like when I get a hair cut he needs one too..LOL
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,582
    Dog(s): Taylor
    If Cooper is not a fluffy, I would never recommend any part of his coat being shorn, cut or trimmed. I don't live in a hot climate - but if I did, I would seek out other ways of keeping a Corgi a bit cooler than the conditions are on a hot day.
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 21
    I know you are not supposed to shave corgis, but corgis aren't supposed to be groomed? (hair cut, trim...) If you do trim their fur...how short can you cut?

I have a pup so I don't have to worry about that but I would like to know.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    I know you are not supposed to shave corgis, but corgis aren't supposed to be groomed? (hair cut, trim...) If you do trim their fur...how short can you cut?
    Yes, corgis should be groomed, but grooming does not necessarily mean trimming or cutting the hair. For a corgi with the normal coat, you do not trim anything but the bottom of the feet. Corgis are not breeds that needs to be trimmed.

Corgis should be brushed and/or combed. Bathed occasionally, (maybe 2-3 times a year). The hair around the pads should be trimmed but that is all that should be trimed or cut on a corgi, other than a fluffy.

Of course nails should be trimmed either with a dog nail clipper or with a dremel tool.

With a fluffy, I would recommend only shortening NOT shaving some areas, such as the pants and any excess feathering.

Here are some sites that might
    For all corgis:
    Grooming The Pet Corgi
    PWCCA
    Care and Feeding of a Utah Corgi!
    How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

And for fluffies:
    Untitled Document
    http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/h/chrisan...Heidi/care.htm

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 8,582
    Grooming seems to mean different things to different people. Grooming a normal (within a wide range) coated Corgi does NOT mean trimming (apart from the hairs around the pads of their feet and maybe their whiskers if they are excessively long), nor cutting nor shearing - just like Taflar has said. It means brushing, combing, bathing amd specific grooming aspects for conformation showing purposes.

Grooming a fluffy coated Corgi could (perhaps should) include trimming their coat to combat the hot weather periods, and maybe trimming part of their skirt/trousers/pants in preventing soiling on toilet occasions.

The difference between the two (normal and fluffy) apart from the obvious, is that a fluffy coated Corgi has a 'damaged' coat at birth.

My recommendation is to comb, brush, comb a Corgi daily for three-four minutes or once every other day for five-six minutes, and bath once monthly (or sooner if absolutely necessary) using premium dog shampoo.
    Last edited by Michael Romanos; 08-09-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Salem, NH
    Posts 627

Wink

[/QUOTE]The difference between the two (normal and fluffy) apart from the obvious, is that a fluffy coated Corgi has a 'damaged' coat at birth.[/QUOTE]

OH BOY MR. MICHAEL- MY MOMMY DOESN'T THINK I'M DAMNAGED??

BUT SHE ALSO ISNT INTO SHOWING ME OR ANYTHING, SHE JUST LOVES MY "DEFECT"!!!

COLBY Colbster

Michael- i know you were just pointing out a characteristic of the breed,but i couldnt resist....Colby made me do it

Julie
    Take Care~Teach a Child!

Colby's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/689883

Cammie's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/712916
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 8,582
    I thought I gave a pretty apt description. Sorry if it sounded cruel. A fluffy coated Corgi happens to be Taylor's favourite dog.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location Salem, NH
    Posts 627
    I know you meant it to be more in the formal way...its all good....
    Take Care~Teach a Child!

Colby's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/689883

Cammie's Dogster Page Link
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/712916
    Join Date Dec 2010
    Posts 1

Peppi

Hi,
    So.. I have a 5 year old Corgi cross Border collie named Peppi.
    He's one of the most loving and good natured dogs I've ever come across and I'm proud to call him mine.

I'm seeking any advise on trimming or shaving his hair.
    Due to being extremely hairy he suffers during the summer on 40 degree days. He hibernates indoors and is constantly panting even though he has access to water.

I've considered shaving him before the weather gets too hot but not sure about it.

Should I shave him and if so on what parts of his body?

Chanelle
    Join Date Aug 2009
    Location Houston, TX USA
    Posts 421
    I live in Houston, where the summers are about as hot as the surface of the sun, and I have never felt compelled to give a corgi a haircut. I just would not let him stay out too long inn the heat.

Riley gets brushed with a furminator and/or a metal comb and he gets his nails dremeled and the hair on the bottoms of his feet trimmed off.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    I'm seeking any advise on trimming or shaving his hair.
    Due to being extremely hairy he suffers during the summer on 40 degree days. He hibernates indoors and is constantly panting even though he has access to water.

I've considered shaving him before the weather gets too hot but not sure about it.

Should I shave him and if so on what parts of his body?
    A dogs coat will protect him from the sun as well as cold. By shaving him you could cause him to get sunburned.

40 degrees, (meaning 40F?) is not hot. If he's too hot at that temp, he needs to see a vet. If you mean 40C then that could be another story. (I'm not familiar with metric temps.)

I would trim his feet, the hair on the bottom should be even with his pads. The hair on top can be trimmed back to his toes so it doesn't hang over and look like fluffy bedroom slippers. If he mats behind his ears you might trim there, same with his armpits and belly.

Other than that I don't recommend trimming him.

How much does he weigh? Perhaps taking a few pounds off would make him feel more comfortable. If he's allowed access to a cooler place in the summer, then that's fine. If there isn't adaquate air circulation a fan might help, air circulation is key to keeping dogs feel cooler in warm weather.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location Las Vegas, NV
    Posts 195
    Dog(s): Izi
    I'm going to assume you mean 40 degrees Celsius (that's about 104F). I live in the desert where it can get up to 120F (or 48.8C), which is pretty warm, and I still don't shave/trim my Corgi. I instead limit time outside and make sure that I provide her with shade and plenty of water. (Kiddie pools go a long way!) Only thing I do as far as grooming goes is trim her nails and brush out her coat. That's the joy of Corgis!
    ~Jacki~
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 382
    When I first got my corgi, I asked my vet about this. He said I could take the pup during her "blow-out" to a groomer to have her coat stripped. What does stripped mean? I would really like to know.
    Sofapup
    Join Date Oct 2010
    Location nebraska
    Posts 6
    Blog Entries 1
    Dog(s): Diesel Powered Pup
    stripping is where the groomer would take a 'stripping knife" and basicly pull out the hair... this is done mostly to terriers, and some other dogs for show coats.
    i wouldnt recommend doing it to a corgi.
    Brushing is key! I am a groomer and i do not recommend shaving corgis. the coat is actuly designed to keep them cooler in summer and warm in winter, shaving it will throw everything off. they could get a sunburn.
    the way I deal with the shedding is once a month I give him a bath with a deshedding shampoo and conditioner, i use a high volocity dryer to dry him and this blows alot of the loose hair out!!! then he gets a good brushing with a furminator brush and a rubber curry. and of course he gets his nails trimmed and dremmled. i shave his pads. sometimes i trim his pants just to keep them lookin good, and i trim the hair infront of his winky, so he doesnt wee on it. this is the only trimming he gets.
    Autumn
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    stripping is where the groomer would take a 'stripping knife" and basicly pull out the hair... this is done mostly to terriers, and some other dogs for show coats.
    Yes and no. Yes, terriers are "stripped" and it's the undercoat they take out. And if done right you are not pulling out live hair, you are only removing loose, dead hair.

What the person means is getting the undercoat out. You don't need to do it with a stripping knife, you can use a comb even.

I wouldn't recommend a stripping knife for a corgi, but a furminator basically does the same thing and many people use them on corgis. I personally, prefer my comb.

I am a groomer and i do not recommend shaving corgis. the coat is actuly designed to keep them cooler in summer and warm in winter, shaving it will throw everything off. they could get a sunburn.
    I don't recommend shaving corgis either. If it's hot, provide them with somewhere to cool off. Indoors in the a/c prefrebly.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman