blow blow blow her coat!

This is a discussion on blow blow blow her coat! within the General Corgi Discussions forums, part of the General category; ...removed by T-Gal...

Join Date Nov 2005
    Posts 1,336

Exclamation blow blow blow her coat!

...removed by T-Gal
    Last edited by tandemgal; 04-21-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: removed by T-Gal
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location New Jersey
    Posts 767
    Dog(s): Ruby
    When I comb Ruby, I almost fill up a plastic shopping bag with her fur. The only hairs Ruby has are around her snout.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,680
    Dog(s): Taylor
    That's another great use for Corgi hair - birds love it as material to help build their nests - and birds appreciate that the hair is much better than twigs or straw for coziness and in being easier material for construction. So leave large quantities of the combed or brushed out hair for birds to gather - at the right times of the year of course.
    Last edited by Michael Romanos; 05-07-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2005
    Posts 1,336
    removed by T-Gal
    Last edited by tandemgal; 04-21-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: removed by T-Gal
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Location Illinois
    Posts 503
    When do corgis start to get their undercoats? I'm blissfully enjoying the puppy hair right now
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location New Jersey
    Posts 767
    Dog(s): Ruby
    Originally Posted by tandemgal
    Great picture of Ruby! She is a beauty.

Chloe is getting her undercoat around her neck. I was surprised to see it's comming in a tan or sable under her black. The rest of her coat is getting fuller but no undercoat yet.

Never had two dogs at once b4 never mind two corgi blowing their coats at the same time!
    Ruby and I thank you Tandemgal!
    Join Date Mar 2006
    Posts 1,049
    Its been a while but Darci was born in Feb and the next fall her coat start filling in. So maybe 6 - 7 months.

I recently bought shed ender, but was not all that impressed with it, it seemed to strip her hair. I have had better luck with the slicker type brush.

Last month she was really shedding but the last 2 weeks have been much better. During shedding seasons I try to brush her every day, and the rest of the time just once or twice a week does the trick.
    Cindy ( darci's mom )
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Posts 3,199
    I have read that you should put the dog hair and also lint from the dryer
    into one of those bags that you might get oranges or grapefruits in and put
    it in a tree and the birds will use that for their nests.

linda
    Join Date Mar 2006
    Location Michigan
    Posts 250
    I am a handspinner and I frequently demonstrate handspinning. Usually the very first question I am asked, as I am spinning away on my spinning wheel, is: "Do you spin DOG HAIR?" Well, I know many handspinners DO spin canine fiber but the thought of it never really appealed to me. (No, actually there is no "wet doggie" smell to canine yarn! ) Anyway, now that I have my beautiful Corgi, Chloe Louise, I considered trying to spin her fiber - but she is not "blowing" her coat! I guess because she is a fluffy she does not have that massive undercoat I have observed on "regular" corgis! Interesting!
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,680
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Chloe Louise - you are a goldmine.
    You are one person with the expertise to make capital from Corgis hair. One Corgi is not nearly enough - it will take years to gather up sufficient hair to make worthwhile garments. Corgi hair makes simply wonderfully coloured, warm and luxurient articles of clothing You need a collection. It can be done this way: Ask Go Corgi members who live reasonably close to you to keep their Corgis discarded hairs in a bag and forward them to you after a period of time. Or contact your nearest Corgi club and ask members of the club to do this. Many I'm sure will oblige - especially if you offer to donate one garment to the club to use for fund-raising.