Stubborn Corgi

This is a discussion on Stubborn Corgi within the General Corgi Discussions forums, part of the General category; We've had Lucy for about two weeks and all is going very well. She is doing fine with house breaking ...

Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 180

Stubborn Corgi

We've had Lucy for about two weeks and all is going very well. She is doing fine with house breaking only using the paper in her play area early in the AM when she has gotten up before me and can't seem to wait. She has even started going to the door to be let out! Pretty good for only 10 weeks.
    The problem that we have is that she is extremely persistent when she wants to do something. I know, Corgis are like that! Today I had her outside with me while I was trimming my roses. She kept trying to get some of the branches, even though they have thorns. I had her give each one up, told her NO and then tried to distract her with her soccer ball. She then began to rear back and bark at me. She does this in the house as well when she is corrected. Distraction doesn't work. I then resort to putting her in her play area until she is calms down. Even though I don't agree with everything Cesar says, I do read his books and it seems that she is trying to be dominant. I certainly want this to stop early. Suggestions?
    Join Date May 2009
    Location Russia
    Posts 326
    Dog(s): Penrith (Penny/Pence)
    Just keep working on her. From what I saw with mine we need to revisit some corrections every few weeks. Corgis are just very stubborn and smart enough to learn what they can get away with
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 180
    Thanks. I know that consistency is important. I 'll keep working at it!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,745
    Obedience classes would help also. If you don't have one near you, do the NILF (Nothing if Life is Free) method. Search on the internet, it'll tell you more.

I don't have much trouble with Duncan's stubborness, there are a few things we work on. I have more trouble with him when my husband is home, he's like a little kid and runs to him when I want him to do something and he doesn't want to. Can we say that his is "spoiled" by my husband?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    I would just continue with the time-outs when she gets too excited. Be patient and she will figure it out eventually. She's very young but if she knows some basic commands you could try some NILF training. I would highly suggest puppy classes as well.
    Join Date Apr 2011
    Location California
    Posts 18
    Dog(s): Lulu
    Don't get discouraged. Our 5 months old Lulu was like that in the beginning. She was extremely stubborn and incredibly smart though. She always wants to push her limit if you allow her. But with firm and consistent training (we also sent her to puppy training classes) she is much better now. I also find keeping her on leash even when she is with me helps when we are out in the yard. I can control where I want her to go.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    I had her give each one up, told her NO and then tried to distract her with her soccer ball. She then began to rear back and bark at me. She does this in the house as well when she is corrected. Distraction doesn't work. I then resort to putting her in her play area until she is calms down. Even though I don't agree with everything Cesar says, I do read his books and it seems that she is trying to be dominant. I certainly want this to stop early. Suggestions?
    I don't think she's trying to be dominant. For one thing she's too young to even know how to do that.

She's being sassy and talking back. I'd ignore her or do as you're doing and put her somewhere else for the time being.

Sometimes prevention is the best thing. If you're doing something you know she's going to want to "help" with (such as pruning roses) put her in an exercise pen where she can't get to what you don't want her to have. That way she can watch and be close but not get into trouble.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com