corgis and chewing

This is a discussion on corgis and chewing within the General Corgi Discussions forums, part of the General category; my seven month old corgi has a small chewing fetish that is slowly destroying my closet...mostly socks and underwear...does anyone ...

Join Date Mar 2006
    Posts 47

corgis and chewing

my seven month old corgi has a small chewing fetish that is slowly destroying my closet...mostly socks and underwear...does anyone have any tips on how to keep my little princess from chewing on my undergarments?? thanks
    Join Date Jun 2006
    Location Belleville, MI
    Posts 113
    How did you come up with Stumpy? That is soooo wierd because I have that tattooed on my arm. I use that name for all my video games and my email addresses. Sometimes I can't get the name for online games because someone has already taken it. Stumpy was the name of a cat I had. I was going to use it on this site, but I decided to use my dogs name for obvious reasons. That is crazy.
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Posts 3,199
    Stumpy,

Two things...can you put a baby gate to the entrance of your closet so he cannot get to your things. OR... my dog, who is 9 months old, used to steal our shoes and laundry when he was younger(around 4 to 5 months) I would always take the item from him and at the same time say "drop it" and offer him a toy of his own to play with. This will take consistencey on your part, but I think with persistance ,you can teach Stumpy to leave your items alone.

linda
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,572
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Linda is right -it is persisency and consistency in offering other items for chewing when Stumpy grabs a clothing item. And if she accepts the toy or whatever - perhaps she would like an item of clothing or footwear that she can tear into - reward her with praise and/or a treat on the instance she accepts the alternative.

"Stumpy" tattooed on your body - now that seems weird to me. Corgis are short - thus stumpy, and their legs certainly are stumpy.
    Last edited by Michael Romanos; 08-13-2006 at 12:16 AM.
    Join Date Jun 2006
    Location Belleville, MI
    Posts 113
    He never said that was the dogs name.
    Join Date Jun 2006
    Location Belleville, MI
    Posts 113
    plus i think you are looking for the english word....stubby. I just don't have the brain power to figure out why he would name a corgi that. Geez, I think I'm smarter than that. Thanks for your explanation though. Maybe it's me, but I sure do feel like I am being treated differently since my controversial comments a while ago.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 8,572
    Lady's Daddy - I think Stumpy's owner is named Natalie - and if it is, he (the human) is actually she. Has Natalie got two Corgis - one seven months and one 10 weeks? Refer to Stumpy's previous postings.

I'd wager a bet that the Corgi's name is Stumpy. And stumpy is a legitimate word in any English speaking country to describe short and, let's say, well rounded.
    Last edited by Michael Romanos; 08-13-2006 at 09:59 PM.
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Posts 3,199
    Michael,

you are right, Natalie is Stumpy's owner.

In regards to the chewing though, I wouldn't offer any clothing items at all if your goal is to not have him chew on them. I would only off him his appropriate dog toys.

In can be accomplished with consistency. Cody never steals our laundry,
    or any of our personal items anymore.

Also, if Stumpy is able to access your personal garmets so easily, maybe you could rearrange your closet so these items are not so readily available to him being as short as Corgis are.

Stumpy sounds like a pefectly appropriate name for a Corgi.
    Last edited by corgimom; 08-13-2006 at 04:57 AM.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Location Florida
    Posts 4
    I guess we should hear from Natalie. According to her dog profile, the name is Bella. As far as chewing goes, the dog needs to have her own chew toys and hopefully be taught which ones they are. I too think consistency is key.
    Join Date Mar 2006
    Posts 47
    hey guys...yeah my name is natalie and yes my corgis name is bella...and yes i only have one corgi, but in march when i signed up she was only 10 weeks...and i have yet to update the profile thing? anyways...she only plays with her toys when i'm around...its like when i get in the shower or go to the store for a minute that i come home and there are holes in all of my underwear and socks...she also finds things that she can chew up if i neglect to kennel her...i don't know what to do...maybe i'll go get her some new toys...perhaps shes bored with the ones that she has.
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Posts 3,199
    Natalie,

I guess if you know you are going to be gone, or in the shower, then all those personal items should be behind closed doors where the dog cannot reach them.

linda
    Join Date Mar 2006
    Posts 47
    her nicknames are stumps and stumpy
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Location Northeast TN
    Posts 2,760
    I had a rottie that was actually my son's dog but everytime, I left home, he would chew up something personal of mine right down to my new nikes. He didn't chew other peoples stuff. I think he did it because he got mad at me for leaving him. LOL
    Join Date Jun 2006
    Location Belleville, MI
    Posts 113
    i did check her other postings. Didn't know you had to do so much homework when replying to threads. I was right anyway. Everyone has their name for a reason so I was just asking why and since I her dogs name is Bella and her name is Natalie, I think it was a perfectly ok question. And she answered that after everyone else answered for her. Geez
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Posts 8,572
    I think we all got a little stumped!

Dogs can distinguish what is theirs and what isn't. What is given to them for their use or benefit and what is not. That is why if you give a dog an old slipper to chew up and play with, he/she won't expect that every slipper or shoe is theirs for the taking. Especially after they have been told firmly.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: