Ears.

This is a discussion on Ears. within the General Puppy Discussions forums, part of the Puppy Matters category; I've seen some serious hype about ear taping already but honestly... ...do I have to tape my pup's ears if ...

Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    Dog(s): Roxie

Ears.

I've seen some serious hype about ear taping already but honestly...
    ...do I have to tape my pup's ears if they don't want to stand up? I saw a corgi with one floppy ear once and thought it to be truly adorable, so do I have to bother with it at all or is it purely aesthetic?
    Join Date Feb 2008
    Posts 108
    Nope! If you like them the way they are, are not showing, and don't wish to bother, are not bothered by the look, Its you choice and your dog. You don't have to if you don't wish to.
    Goodbye! So long, Fair well! We are done here!

Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    First off... it is your dog... so if YOU dont want to tape ears and have a corgi with a flop ear... then that is your choice. no one can tell you that you must tape or not tape.

Now , If i purchased a corgi puppy from a reputable breeder, i would want that corgi to look as close to the standard as possible.. Taping is painless and if the ears just need a little help standing up, why not give them the support they need? If you try and the ear still doesnt come up, that would be another story entirely... but why choose an AKC pure breed dog if you dont care for it too be comforming to the standarad? At that point, why not just rescue a dog from the pound?

The bottom line is if the dog is yours, no one can tell you what to do with your dog.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Orange County, CA
    Posts 265
    Dog(s): Conan
    From my understanding, if the ears don't stand the dog will have a much higher risk for ear infections throughout his life.

How old is your dog? Conan's ears didn't fully stand until he was almost a year old. We didn't tape them.
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    I don't have one at all yet, heh. And if that's true then why have my dachshunds never had any issues? Obviously they don't have standing ears. They are 1 and 2 years of age. My Shar Pei mix with the typical Pei ears has never had issues either. Neither did the terrier mix I had. -shrug-

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm not saying you're definitely wrong by any means, just that it doesn't make sense considering the number of drop eared dogs that are fine. I'd think the choice to tape or not to tape would be similar to the choice to crop or not crop, save for the fact that cropping is an actual surgery...
    Last edited by Kayota; 01-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Posts 265
    Their ears are supposed to be that way. A Corgi's aren't. If they don't stand, it's usually a defect in the cartilage in their ears, from what I know. An unnatural position with poorly developed structure would most definitely leave a dog susceptible to ear infections.

Eta. You're comparing apples to oranges
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    What about say Border Collies? Field BCs can have prick or drop ears without issues.

Likewise when I get my corgi, if I get a pembroke is there any chance I might be able to ask the breeder NOT to dock?
    Last edited by Kayota; 01-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Posts 265
    We can go into the different structure of dog's ears all day long. Do a Google search. You'll find that dogs whose ears are genetically predisposed to stand, but do not, are prone to ear infections. I'm not saying every dog is going to get 100 ear infections a year. You asked if it was purely aesthetic, and I'm telling you no, it's not purely aesthetic. There are health reasons for it. I'm not trying to give you an opinion about whether or not to tape, just answering your question.

Personally, if I wanted a dog's ears to be flopped, I would rescue one with ears already like that. Because chances are, a dog from a reputable breeder will have no problem with it's ears going up.

As far as docking goes, I wouldn't get a dog from a breeder who didn't dock. Tails are docked for a reason as well. It's not purely aesthetic either. You can find breeders who don't dock, but IMO, they aren't the best out there.

If I were you, I would rescue a dog.
    Last edited by Katie Finlay; 01-30-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    If you want a dog with a tail and floppy ears, then why are you even interested in a Pembroke welsh corgi? why not look at a beagle, they have tails and floppy ears...

What's next? let me guess... an all white pembroke, with a tail, and floppy ears, oh and taller? I just don't get it.

It is one thing if you are rescuing a corgi mix , but if you are looking to buy a pure bred corgi , you will have a very tough time finding one from a reputable breeder with a floppy ear and undocked.
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Location Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts 4,420
    I've seen some serious hype about ear taping already but honestly...
    In reading this thread it appears you came into it with a chip about ear taping from the get go. The choice of the word "hype" in regards to ear taping is what I am basing this observation upon. Ear taping to help a dog looks conform more to the standard AKA - the way a breed is supposed to look, well there is no hype to that.

...do I have to tape my pup's ears if they don't want to stand up? I saw a corgi with one floppy ear once and thought it to be truly adorable, so do I have to bother with it at all or is it purely aesthetic?
    As others have said, it'll be your dog and the choice will be yours, but it is not purely aesthetic. And yes there can be more maintenance and ear infections/problems in a drop eared corgi - speaking from experience here. I have also met plenty of adorable one ear up/one ear down and drop eared corgis from puppies I have been a part of the breeding of to rescues. There are numerous drop eared breeds prone to infections -- Poodles, Cockers to name only two.

I'm experiencing the same confusion as Dillydoodle in understanding your interest in a purebred corgi when you are tossing out two characteristics that make a Pembroke a Pembroke. A reputable breeder in the States at least, is not going to give a puppy buyer the option of tail on or tail off; drop eared is another thing -- as sometimes those ears are just so big it will take some extreme measures to get them to stay up. Drop ear(s) can happen from reputable breeders.

Debbie
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    I'm interested in the corgi for their personality over their looks, though I do like the way they're "meant" to look also, so... I dunno. I was just curious, I never said I wouldn't tape/dock. You are taking this all wrong. I have absolutely nothing against either of those practices. As far as a beagle... guess what? Beagles do not and probably never will fit my personality preference or training methods. I have two hounds right now and they are far too stubborn for my tastes and I will probably avoid that breed group in the future. I also don't care about the color of my Corgi if/when I get one. It was purely a question about what options I have, nothing more. I don't care if they're floppy, I never said it was a preference.
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Posts 4,420
    You think hounds are stubborn? Wait'll ya get a hold of a corgi ... <VBG> Seriously ... one has a 25 pound +/- dog that was bred to move cattle and the dog won. Stubborn, willful, bossy .... highly trainable, but that does not necessarily mean "easily" trained. Corgis more often than not, in some way or another have a "I'll do it, but what's in it for me?" attitude. So if you want a breed that is really eager to please and lives for their human, you might want to look at some of the Sporting breeds.

Debbie
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    I don't want a people pleaser either. I've had herding breeds before and they've always been my favorite group. Chihuahuas and Terriers are definitely not people pleasers either and yet my best-trained dog is a Chi/Jack Russell... hm. I don't want a dog that will live for making me happy but I also don't want a dog that can't even learn to sit without going to a professional trainer.
    If you honestly think I shouldn't get a corgi... fine. Then I'll just rescue a pup from the local shelter. I was considering that anyway but it's always nice to have some general idea of what your dog might be like as an adult.
    Last edited by Kayota; 01-31-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Posts 4,420
    I don't feel anyone is saying you shouldn't get a corgi, you just need to learn a lot more about the breed(s) first off. Throwing you in the fact you are just getting ready to turn seventeen and the next few years are going to be throwing a lot at you - graduation, college, moving possibly, your time is going to be really filled with all kinds of stuff. Just keep reading, researching, and learning.

Debbie
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Southern IL
    Posts 9
    That's what I joined for If I do decide not to get a Corgi my next two choices are Italian Greyhound and Cocker Spaniel, probably. With the Cocker at the bottom of my list. I'd love to get a larger breed like a German Shepherd (wanted one of those for yeaaars) but where I'll be that probably would not be practical.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: