Like Tree2Likes

Bathing!

This is a discussion on Bathing! within the Grooming & Care forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; I had some questions about bathing. At what age should you start bathing your pup? How often should you bathe ...

Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Denton, Texas
    Posts 80

Bathing!

I had some questions about bathing. At what age should you start bathing your pup? How often should you bathe them? Should that amount ever increase or decrease? Are there any recommened shampoos or conditioners-type things? Does bathing often cause any fur or skin problems? What if it's just frequent water bathing (water bathing = no shampoo, just water)?

Thanks!
    ---
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 144
    I gave Waeryn her first bath the day after I got her because the blanket the breeder gave me was dirty (she gave it to me because it smelled like the mother and other pups). I used puppy shampoo and warm water. Tonight I brought her into the shower with me to get her used to the water. I put her under the spray and also filled up the tub and let her swim. She seemed to do good, but got a litte scared after a while so I took her out. I cant believe how hard she was to get wet! Even after the swim and being under the spray she was still a litte dry underneath!
    Last edited by missfancypants25; 11-27-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I didnt use shampoo on her the second time because I dont want to dry out her coat or irritate her skin.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    I bought some Buddy Wash Shampoo and Conditioner for Charlie, after reading several recommendations here on GoCorgi. It is a soap-free, coconut based shampoo with a lavendar and mint scent.

I want to keep as much of Charlie's own natural oils on his skin and coat, so I have bathed him no more than once a month. I probably won't bath him this winter unless or until he gets smelly.

I do rinse his feet with just water when he digs in the flower bed, or if his feet get itchy.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Oct 2006
    Location Rancho Cucamonga, CA. but currently Coeur D'Alene, ID.
    Posts 26
    puppies can be bathed at 12 weeks of age. I recommend bathing one to two times a month based on how smelly the little guy gets. I recomend Earthbath shampoo's. They are non animal tested, bio-degradable, earth friendly and the different sents and types to meet all skin types are perfect for any dog or cat.
    Lindsey

mama to:
    4 cats: Sadie, Bones & Thugz, Nimbus
    1 pembroke: Stablemate's Sawyer

R.I.P Kitty my best and oldest friend!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,718
    It is kinda hard to get water deep into a lot of corgi's hair when giving them a bath. Their coat is water resistant because of the nature of them being outside working dogs. I gaive the dogs a bath a couple of times a year, and brush them frequently. It's too much of a battle for me to give Duncan a bath. I pretty much have to strip down and get in with him, he hates baths. Chloe, she isn't thrilled over them, but will stand still while I do it.
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Location Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts 4,420
    Buddy Wash is great stuff. Baths, as needed is my rule of thumb. If one isn't doing something that requires frequent bathing (showing, therapy work for example), then once a month is more than plenty, once a quarter is plenty. More frequently and you risk stripping the natural oils out of the coat and that can be a source of some of the itching and scratching some are reporting.

Waeryn's breeder was right on the money sending home the "stinky" blanket, a good source of comfort to her in these early transition/adjustment days. I would have advised to leave well enough alone for about a week. And I really wouldn't be sticking her in the shower or too worried about getting her used to water. They'll play in water bowls, baby pools, every mud puddle they can find, wade in creeks and do all kinds of water related stuff, but a BATH!!!!! - that totally different. <LOL>

Debbie
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Posts 144

Waeryn's breeder was right on the money sending home the "stinky" blanket, a good source of comfort to her in these early transition/adjustment days. I would have advised to leave well enough alone for about a week. And I really wouldn't be sticking her in the shower or too worried about getting her used to water. They'll play in water bowls, baby pools, every mud puddle they can find, wade in creeks and do all kinds of water related stuff, but a BATH!!!!! - that totally different. <LOL>

Debbie

I know it was good for her to give me the blanket...I haven't washed the blanket itself, just Waeryn. I've been having the blanket with her when she sleeps, but last night I let her sleep in my bed and she slept very soundly. The reason I was worried about water is because the breeder that I ALMOST got a puppy from said that one of her dogs really really didn't like the water. I hope to take Waeryn to the lake and other places with water when she is older and I would be sad if she didn't like to play in it. I think I'm fussing a little too much about things, but I just want everything to go smoothly.
    Join Date Mar 2006
    Location Maple Valley, Washington
    Posts 251
    One of mine likes water and one doesn't. But they both like baths. When we go to the lake it takes awhile to get Cody in..the one that doesn't care for it...but lots and lots of positive and he will come in. It's so funny. He thinks he swimmin and he's really just walking on the bottom and being told good boy and he is so happy to do that for me. He smiles and smiles. Katie swims way over her head. Have to watch her close.
    Mine loved the shower when they were little. They got them alot and would fight to go first. They do that for their baths too. It kills my back. They love the blow dryer too. You could just put a little water in the tub and let her wade in it to get used to it without soaping her up.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    I know it was good for her to give me the blanket...I haven't washed the blanket itself, just Waeryn. I've been having the blanket with her when she sleeps, but last night I let her sleep in my bed and she slept very soundly. The reason I was worried about water is because the breeder that I ALMOST got a puppy from said that one of her dogs really really didn't like the water. I hope to take Waeryn to the lake and other places with water when she is older and I would be sad if she didn't like to play in it. I think I'm fussing a little too much about things, but I just want everything to go smoothly.
    Like Debbie, I've not found that getting them used to water or having a dog that likes to play in the water makes any difference when it comes to baths. For most dogs baths are something they tolerate not like.

And like Debbie, I bathe my dogs when I feel they need it. A dog I'm showing might get 2 or 3 baths in one month and one I'm not showing might get a bath once every several months.

I have bathed puppies as young as 8 weeks but I made sure to dry them with a dog dryer (not my show dryer that would blow them away!!!) but a smaller one I have also. And I kept them in until I knew they were completly dry and warm again.

You can use about any pet shampoo that strikes your fancy. We each have our favorites, the ones I like I get at dog shows.

As for bathing a corgi in a tub, Well, I have a hand held shower head that I use on my dogs. It makes bathing them so much easier, easier to get the coat thoroughly wet and easier to rinse them. And they're not having to stand in soapy water.

When bathing a dog, rinse until you think all the shapoo is out and then rinse at least once more. Shampoo left in the coat can make the dog itch.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Denton, Texas
    Posts 80
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. =)

Just one more question: What if they just get wet- not thoroughly bathed or anything, just wet- alot, will they risk losing their natural oils? There is a near by pond, and if I were to let my pup swim as often as they pleased (with supervision of course!), I wouldn't want to cause any problems. Thanks.
    ---
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Bellevue, WA
    Posts 203
    now I'm concerned that I am washing Westin too much! we give him a bath usually about once a week. He hasn't been itchy or anything, and he's usually pretty good in the water. If we leave the faucet on really low, he just sits under it and lets us wash him. If there are no adverse side effects, can I continue with what I am doing? Or will it cause problems in the future?
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    now I'm concerned that I am washing Westin too much! we give him a bath usually about once a week. He hasn't been itchy or anything, and he's usually pretty good in the water. If we leave the faucet on really low, he just sits under it and lets us wash him. If there are no adverse side effects, can I continue with what I am doing? Or will it cause problems in the future?
    There is no need to bathe him that often. As for adverse effects, it depends on the shampoo you're using.

Why do you feel you need to bathe him that often?

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    The best thing for his skin and coat is his natural body oil. Brushing at least twice a week will remove a lot of loose fur and help distribute his oils through his coat.

Overwashing will strip these oils, drying out his skin and making his coat dry and possibly brittle.

I've found that Charlie's adult coat is fairly water and dirt repellent. I just towel him off when it's damp outside. I don't know if he'll get "doggier" smelling as he becomes an adult, but I've been pleasantly surprised how nice he smells with no more than one bath a month, compared to my last dog who was definitely "doggy".
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Location Bellevue, WA
    Posts 203
    We use "Groomax for Dogs Soothing Oatmeal Shampoo," and it doesn't make his coat dry or brittle. (He is REALLY fuzzy, actually. Fuzzier than any other puppy I've seen.) It seems that after a week or two he starts to smell a bit, and we like to let him lay on the bed and couch with us in the mornings/at night before bed, so washing him pretty often keeps him (and our furniture) smelling nice. But maybe I'm just not a "puppy smell" lover? As for brushing instead of bathing, I try to brush him usually every couple days, but he rarely sits still long enough, or he thinks the brush is a toy!
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Location Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts 4,420
    We use "Groomax for Dogs Soothing Oatmeal Shampoo," and it doesn't make his coat dry or brittle. (He is REALLY fuzzy, actually. Fuzzier than any other puppy I've seen.)
    Because you are bathing him so often. Long term ramifications, his coat might loose its weather resistant trait that is a part of the breed.

It seems that after a week or two he starts to smell a bit, and we like to let him lay on the bed and couch with us in the mornings/at night before bed, so washing him pretty often keeps him (and our furniture) smelling nice. But maybe I'm just not a "puppy smell" lover?
    Try a spot bath or rub down with baby or pet wipes and a good brushing. Corgis aren't really breeds that have the typical 'doggie smell."

As for brushing instead of bathing, I try to brush him usually every couple days, but he rarely sits still long enough, or he thinks the brush is a toy!
    He needs to learn. Keep the sessions short and sweet and gradually lengthen the grooming session time. Your vet will appreciate it, as well as any future groomer you might take him to.

Debbie
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: