Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dillydoodle

Questions about puppy shedding/first coat blow

This is a discussion on Questions about puppy shedding/first coat blow within the Grooming & Care forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; Hi all! Just some quick questions regarding Rufus and what I can expect and when with regards to shedding and ...

Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Dog(s): Rufus

Questions about puppy shedding/first coat blow

Hi all!

Just some quick questions regarding Rufus and what I can expect and when with regards to shedding and blowing his coat.

We got Rufus at 8 weeks old, he's now 19 weeks old (almost 2 months old/almost 4.5 months old for those who count that way).

He sheds. I know this is a fact of corgi life, and boy-oh-boy do I know that when he blows coat this shedding will pale in comparison.

My questions:

1) At what point does Rufus' full adult coat come in? We're seeing some of it now at 4.5 mos I think (he's not all fuzzy anymore). Also, when this coat comes in, does he shed the puppy coat all in one go like a coat-blow or is it more of a normal daily shedding process?

2) When are the normal times for a full blowing of his coat in terms of months/seasons? Is it a seasonal thing or is it based on age, or how does that work?

3) When can I expect his first full coat blow?

I think that's it for now, if I think of any additional questions I'll post them.

Thanks
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    I think they do not have a full adult coat until at least a year old. For my dogs, they had the initial shedding of the puppy coat by the time they were around 4-6 months old, and then sort of a thinner adult coat came in. Then eventually they blew that coat, and grew a proper adult coat with full undercoat and everything. Mine both tend to blow in the spring and fall but it may vary by dog and climate.
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location sherwood park,Canada
    Posts 607
    Blog Entries 1
    Dog(s): Benson
    I believe that Bensons' puppy coat started disappearing around the 6 month. mark just as Westwood posted,it was all very similar ,I don't bathe him very often ,I brush once a week,last spring he shed fairly heavy (just ask my vacuum) ,this spring it is a lot lighter, my Abbie and Benson have beautiful coats this year.Usually the dogs shed heavy again in fall (sept. oct.)
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,634
    If I remember correctly, I think Pip's first big coat blow was around a year and a half. He blew his coat at New Years, this year. I noticed a few other people on other forums commenting their dogs were blowing coats, during the same time. Everyone (me included) seemed to think it was the weird (no winter) weather we've been having here. I agree with Westwod it varies by dog and climate/weather, so you'll have to wait and see what Rufus's schedule is.
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 772
    Dog(s): Galahad
    Gally just had his first big (biggest so far anyway) coat blow. He's 11 months old. We were pulling giant tuffs of fur off him for a few weeks. He's back to his normal large amounts of shedding now but his coat does seem to be a bit different in texture and density now so I am thinking he's coming into his full adult coat.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    Dillon's first coat blow was probably at a year.. and was bad ( or so i thought) and then the second one happened and i swear i thought he would be bald.. there was SOOOO Much hair.. i mean , i could have made a second corgi from all the fur! And then we added Gus.. and he put Dillon to shame when it comes to coat blowing.. when he blows that coat, there is hair everywhere.. get a GREAT vacuume cleaner. We started out with some cheapo one.. and IMMEDIATELY realized that it could not begin to handle the task at hand.. so we went out and got the Dyson animal.. and that worked out well.. it was worth the $$$$ !

Emilie
    gameintruder likes this.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Lexington, SC
    Posts 63
    Dog(s): Watson
    Emilie recommended Dyson animal. Is this the vacuum most have? Is there another anyone recommends? I am just wondering because right now we also have a cheapo one and I know we need to get another. Watson should start shedding in about 2 months, so I want to be prepared for the dog hair invasion!
    Kayla
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    I have a regular dyson and it works really well too. My only issue is it makes an awful noise sometimes on my oriental rugs...scares the crap out of me.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,634
    I have a Kirby that also does a great job picking up dog hair and has a shampooer, which I LOVE. I'm not so thrilled with the heavy weight, procedure for attaching the attachments, maintenance or cost for bags. I will probably get something more convient, when it's time to replace it...but it does an awesome job with dog hair!
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Join Date Sep 2011
    Location Endless Mtns NE PA
    Posts 146
    Dog(s): Willow
    Oreck. First one is nearing 20 years old. Retired it to the upstairs and bought a new one. Also like the little handheld vac for stairs, etc.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    The dyson animal is also heavy... most of the really good vacs are.. oh and my dyson does occasionally make noise on the oriental rugs too.. i wonder why? Fibers too dense in an oriental rug ?

Emilie
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Yeah I'm not sure...my mom has the exact same model I do and her's does the same thing! If I raise it up it doesn't make that noise, but then it doesn't pick up as much hair. :/ I'm always worried it's going to rip a hole in some of my antique ones though lol.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,468
    1) At what point does Rufus' full adult coat come in?
    He'll pretty much have what looks like an adult coat by 6 mos.

We're seeing some of it now at 4.5 mos I think (he's not all fuzzy anymore).
    That's the start of it, and it'll look pretty much like his adult coat. He might get a bit darker in color or the harshness that the coat is supposed to have will be there soon, by 6 mos.

Also, when this coat comes in, does he shed the puppy coat all in one go like a coat-blow or is it more of a normal daily shedding process?
    No, he won't blow his "puppy coat" yet. It's more of a daily thing right now. As the old hair dies it falls out.

2) When are the normal times for a full blowing of his coat in terms of months/seasons?
    That depends on a lot of things, where you live, his genetics, what he eats, etc.

There is no regular month or season when corgis blow their coats. Usually mine do a pre spring blow around Jan/Feb. This year however, they are blowing now!! They then also blow again before in the late summer or fall.

Intact females blow in relation to their seasons (heat cycles).

3) When can I expect his first full coat blow?
    The spring or fall closest to their first birthday is usually when I see the first real blow.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Dog(s): Rufus
    Thank you guys for all the responses!! He's not shedding an insane amount right now, or at least, it's not so noticeable because his little puppy hairs are coming out and those are all fluff and seem to just blow away. I KNOW I'm in for it when he has his first full coat blow. I've seen pictures.

I'm thrilled that his adult coat is growing in and he's keeping the fairy saddle markings he has. At first I thought it was just a part of his baby coat that didn't lighten up yet, but it's gotten more defined. I'll have to take pictures and post them up here for you guys to see.

We'll also need to invest in a good vacuum, and a handheld one. We've been needing one for the house for awhile. We went out a few months ago and got this huge, hulking vacuum that we thought was wet/dry but it turned out to only be a steam-cleaner for the carpet in the living room. Whoops! The Dyson might be a bit out of our price range (then again, we have time to save), but I thought someone posted a link somewhere awhile ago to an article writing up different brands of vacuums and how effective they were at dealing with pet fur. Have to find that soon.