skin problems

This is a discussion on skin problems within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; Recently my dog has com up with dark spots on her skin. they are solid and make full circles. The ...

Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 2

Question skin problems

Recently my dog has com up with dark spots on her skin. they are solid and make full circles. The hair is falling out and looks infected. She has been to the vet many time and has taken 2 diffrent antibiotic, and ring worm teat were negitive. nothing changed untill i changed her food. she was on the hillls R/D can and dry.. and sence the change it starting to clear up. Has any one had proplems like this with a brand of food....
    I cant belive a vet would perscibe food that is bad for thier health!
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Her symptoms could be a lot of things, so don't take my thoughts as any type of diagnosis.

The most recent time I heard those same symptoms it was vet-induced Cushing's syndrome. It is the "dark spots" with the hair loss that made me think of Cushing's.

Did your vet recently put her on cortisone, prednisone (or other pills/injections with "-isone") steroids? If so, you may actually be in pretty good shape. Once off the steroids, the Cushing's symptoms usually resolve on their own.

If she hasn't been on any steroids, then it is possible that she has Cushing's (not vet-induced). It is essentially a shutting down of the adrenal gland. It is not cureable, but is quite manageable and the dog can live a full, relatively normal life.

There are many other skin problems with the same clinical signs, so don't start worrying. I am not a vet! Just get a good diagnosis from your vet. If your vet is just treating symptoms without identifying the specific source of the problem, go get a second opinion.

On food: Most US vets only get about 2 nutrition courses out of 8 years of college, and those courses are often taught by vets who are on the Hill's S/D payroll. I think most vets get too busy in their practice to do much independent research into dog/cat nutrition. I don't think they "intentionally" prescribe bad food...they just don't know any better.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 2
    thanks so much.. she had got bit by a bee or insect a couple of mounths ago and the doctor had perscribed a cordizone shot and pills. it came about shortly after that...
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Well maybe that is it. You might ask the vet if it's a possibility. Hopefully she'll continue to improve. Keep us posted.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!