Stinky Corgi

This is a discussion on Stinky Corgi within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; My poor sweet little 5 month Pembroke smells terrible. It started gradually about a month ago and has gotten worse ...

Join Date Oct 2008
    Posts 2

Stinky Corgi

My poor sweet little 5 month Pembroke smells terrible. It started gradually about a month ago and has gotten worse and now his hair has begun to fall out. I have a one year old female Pembroke who doesn't smell at all and her fur is beautiful. My male keeps having problems and I feel terrible for him. I am taking him to the vet on Tuesday (my third in several months) but I was hoping to have some idea what could cause this before I go. I have had some bad luck with vets. Any ideas?
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    I would suggest talking to your vet about taking skin scrappings (several-to check for mites) and swabs to see if there is a skin infection. Skin infections can smell bad. There may other causes, but mites and infections can be ruled in or out fairly easily. Hope a cause is found and your puppy feels better soon!
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Apr 2006
    Location Northeast TN
    Posts 2,760
    So sorry to hear about your little corgis problems but welcome to the board. Please post and let us know how he is doing.
    Bonnie

A Good Home, Loving Family and Three Loyal Corgis at my feet - I am truly Blessed.
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Location Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts 4,420
    Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the skin problems with your puppy.

I'll second LaRogue's recommendations for having you vet take skin scrapings to check for mites. You might also want to have him checked for ringworm. That will show up under a black light.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he's doing.

Debbie
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Hi jessicar,

Welcome to the GoCorgi.

Did the first two vets give you any diagnosis?

Skin problems could have a number of causes. Hopefully your third vet will be able to get to the root of the problem. Please keep us posted on the results.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Oct 2008
    Posts 2
    Hi All -

Thanks for your replies. I just got back from the vet and here's what happened:
    1) He says Gavin (my 5 month old) is underweight and it's probably due to genetics. He's 15 pounds... I was wondering why he was so small and wondered if it had anything to do with what was going on. My female (Molly) is 26 pounds at 1 year 4 months.
    2) He said the fur loss and smell is due to allergies and that he can be allergic to all kinds of things... hard to tell. He said he doesn't usually see allergies start until dogs get to be at least two and he's not happy about that.
    3) He gave him a cortisone shot to make him more comfortable but again, wasn't too thrilled to have to do it because he's so young. He said I can also give him a little Benadryl.
    4) Basically, said that I may end up having a lot of health problems with him. I'm a little discouraged.

I got him at a pet shop (I know, bad bad idea) and I am beginning to see the problems now. With Molly, I did tons of homework and researched breeders and I have had no problems with her at all. I am worried about Gavin and how small and sick he is... He is so sweet and loving; we all adore him.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Well that sounds like a fairly discouraging prognosis, but don't lose heart.

First, don't worry about Gavin being undersized. I think Charlie was only 15-16 pounds at 20 weeks. He is smaller than average, but that's not a health concern. (Underweight, meaning he needs to gain weight is different from genetically undersized. So if the vet wants him to gain weight, that's easy to do with more food.)

Secondly, having allergies does not necessarily mean that Gavin will end up with a lot of health problems. My last dog started having chronic uncontrollable ear infections when he was around 6 months old. After all prescription ear medicines failed, we tested him for allergies. He tested positive to 70% of everthing they test for. Even though he had ear infections his whole life, he never had any additional health problems and he lived a normal "average" lifespan. (He did have a very stinky "doggie" smell, which can be a symptom of the immune system constantly trying to fight off allergens.)

If you can afford to have the full panel allergy tests run for Gavin then I highly recommend it. They are expensive but can save you a lot of time and money by providing you with a list of specific allergens. With my "allergy dog", I was able to simply remove a lot of his environmental allergens and find a dog food which didn't contain any of his allergy ingredients. It was a lot easier than trying to guess what he might have reactions with.

Also watch for any sign that the veterinarian treatment is actually working and not having a worse effect on Gavin's health. We tried the standard "cure" with Science Diet Ultra-ZD allergy formula, daily allergy shots, and weekly to bi-weekly steroid injections. The treatment caused him to lose over 30% of his body weight in a matter of a few weeks. The steroids (and/or allergy shots) also caused mood swings and made him temperamently unsound. The "cure" was killing him, so I took him off all the vet-prescribed foods and drugs and got him on a food that worked better for him. He gained the weight back in several weeks and aside from having to clean his ears daily, he did just fine. The standard treatment works wonders for a lot of dogs, and hopefully Gavin will be one of them. But do trust your instincts if you think he's getting worse, not better.

If I have done the diet research 11 years ago that I have done over the past year, I might have taken my "allergy boy" to a holistic vet for a diet plan designed around his allergies. It might have reduced or cured the ear infections. I have read many of what seem to be "miracle" cures of everything from allergies, to chronic urinary infections, to cancer by people who were told their pet would have a chronic illness or uncurable allergies. They changed to a holistic diet and the dog/cat became completely symptom free. That might be an alternate route you would want to consider at some point in Gavin's life.

I know you're bummed since I remember how I felt when my dog was diagnosed as a chronic severe allergy case. But it is probably not as bad as it seems. Allergies can be controlled if not cured, so keep your hopes up. Gavin could even surprise you and simply outgrow the allergies. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise? Please keep us posted on his progress.
    Last edited by MyPemCharlie; 10-14-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    I have to agree with Chris and say try not to be discouraged. I also agree it would be best to have an allergy panel done as soon as you can. Until that's done, all you can do is treat the symptoms rather than eliminate the cause(s). If you don't mind my asking, what sort of testing did your vet do during the exam? I only ask because some other issues can be misdiagnosed as allergies.
    He said he doesn't usually see allergies start until dogs get to be at least two and he's not happy about that.
    My corgi, Pip has allergies, they were apparent when he was a puppy too. It's not usual, but not completely unheard of either. Allergies aren't the end of the world and can be dealt with once you know the cause(s). The important thing is to find out what Gavin is allergic to so you can try to eliminate contact. I hope the steroid shot will bring him some comfort and that everything will improve for him and you soon!