HELP! Can't get dog food into Canada?

This is a discussion on HELP! Can't get dog food into Canada? within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; HELP!!!!! My mom just called me and said that dog food is prohibited (right next to attack rifles!!!! geez) when ...

Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154

Exclamation HELP! Can't get dog food into Canada?

HELP!!!!!

My mom just called me and said that dog food is prohibited (right next to attack rifles!!!! geez) when going into Canada. Does anyone know why or have any suggestions? She is on a premium food that I doubt I can get once across the border....any suggestions? I am considering shipping some of her food to where we are staying.

We are leaving for Canada on Thursday and could really use some advise from experienced travelers!!!
    Chelsea
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Midwest
    Posts 641
    HELP!!!!!

My mom just called me and said that dog food is prohibited (right next to attack rifles!!!! geez) when going into Canada. Does anyone know why or have any suggestions? She is on a premium food that I doubt I can get once across the border....any suggestions? I am considering shipping some of her food to where we are staying.

We are leaving for Canada on Thursday and could really use some advise from experienced travelers!!!
    I have not traveled to Canada but was looking up some info and apparently this may have to do with Mad Cow disease, obviously there are health concerns of some kind why people can't just bring certain foods across the border. However, I saw others stating on a forum that you can bring dog food as long as the bag was not open and there were no beef products in it and you had a receipt and that the ingredients were clear.
    One person said they wouldn't allow food with Beef By-Products in it. and another said the unopened bag would not be allowed to be brought back to the US.

I did find this site, that may help you if you call them, but you would have to pay long distance charges.

bsf5056 I Declare

"If you have any questions, contact the Border Information Service (BIS) line. This is a 24-hour telephone service that automatically answers all incoming calls and provides general border services information.

You can access BIS free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access BIS by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. local time, Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak directly to an agent by pressing “0” at any time during the recording.

You can also visit the CBSA's Web site at Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada."
    Last edited by Corgis4me; 07-15-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Midwest
    Posts 641
    One person gave this site as who he contacted about dog food

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Food
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154
    Thank you!!!

Because the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (that is the website where I have done my looking around for answers) was not clear as to what exactly the specific regulations are (as far as I could find)...I decided to go right to the source and call Canadian Border Patrol.

Currently, you can bring dog food across the border as long as it does not contain beef and as long as the bag is sealed.

They did not mention the recipt, but I like to be safer then sorry!!! So I will bring that too. Thank you for that suggestion and for those web sites Corgis4me!

Hopefully I have all my ducks in a row. I have the Rabies certificate, health certificate, list of all vaccinations given to date, sealed bag of dog food....and oh yeah, the dog
    Chelsea
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Midwest
    Posts 641
    Good luck to you, I hope you dont' have any problems. You know they also have an email address and maybe as a precaution, I would just do a follow-up email saying you talked with someone there today and wanted to just verify in writing what they told you about the dog food was correct. Then print their response out(which is hopefully the same info) and take it with you.

They may possibly not get back to you before you leave and there's nothing you can do about that, but if they do, you would have something in writing to take with you. Just a suggestion; up to you. email address is on the link, just scroll down.

Contact Us - General Enquiries

What size bag are you taking?
    Last edited by Corgis4me; 07-15-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154
    Good luck to you, I hope you dont' have any problems. You know they also have an email address and maybe as a precaution, I would just do a follow-up email saying you talked with someone there today and wanted to just verify in writing what they told you about the dog food was correct. Then print their response out(which is hopefully the same info) and take it with you.

They may possibly not get back to you before you leave and there's nothing you can do about that, but if they do, you would have something in writing to take with you. Just a suggestion; up to you. email address is on the link, just scroll down.

Contact Us - General Enquiries

What size bag are you taking?
    I sent an email this morning to verify...but I am wondering if it was too late to get a response before we leave. I will definitely print up the response if they do send one. Good idea! I bought a 5 pound bag (No beef).
    Chelsea
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Torrington, Wyoming
    Posts 436
    Dog(s): Leo & Randy
    I would take an unopened bag just in case (get the smaller size and leave out the attack rifle). When I last crossed the border they were not unreasonable (hopefully she eats chicken with no by product food like mine do). Have a good trip and give my regards to friends and family if you visit Toronto.
    Boo Buchheit
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,498
    I warned you to check into that when you first menitoned about going to Canada. It's because of the Mad Cow disease. They don't want any meat based products brought into Canada.

What are you feeding her? Preimum foods are available in Canada. I'm sure you can buy some when you get there.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,498
    Hopefully I have all my ducks in a row. I have the Rabies certificate, health certificate, list of all vaccinations given to date, sealed bag of dog food....and oh yeah, the dog
    Do you have a bill of sale for her or AKC registration papers? If so I'd take those too just to prove she's yours if you should need to.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    Join Date Dec 2007
    Location Midwest
    Posts 641
    About.com: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/petse.shtml

Doesn't say that she needs those things; but the bill of sale may not be a bad idea
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154
    I would take an unopened bag just in case (get the smaller size and leave out the attack rifle). When I last crossed the border they were not unreasonable (hopefully she eats chicken with no by product food like mine do). Have a good trip and give my regards to friends and family if you visit Toronto.
    haha, yeah, just the dog food for me No attack rifle here! We feed her Natures Recipe, lamb and rice (no beef or by product for sure). I got her a new 5 lb bag (not to be opened until we cross the border).
    Chelsea
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154
    [QUOTE=Peggy;53536]I warned you to check into that when you first menitoned about going to Canada./QUOTE]

For some reason I thought you meant we would have problems when coming back across the border, which I had already made plans for (We are visiting family in MN on the way up and on the way back, so I am leaving extra food with them before we cross).
    Chelsea
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,498
    About.com: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/petse.shtml

Doesn't say that she needs those things; but the bill of sale may not be a bad idea
    I know, but I've heard of people having a problem so thought it would be best to be prepared.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Colorado
    Posts 154
    Do you have a bill of sale for her or AKC registration papers? If so I'd take those too just to prove she's yours if you should need to.

Peggy
    My name is on all of the papers from the vet, so hopefully that will do.
    Chelsea
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,498
    [QUOTE=Tessie'sMom;53545]
    I warned you to check into that when you first menitoned about going to Canada./QUOTE]

For some reason I thought you meant we would have problems when coming back across the border, which I had already made plans for (We are visiting family in MN on the way up and on the way back, so I am leaving extra food with them before we cross).
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I thought I passed on what someone else told me and she mentioned that dog food coming in could be a problem. I think I mentioned to ask or check the website for info on that.

And yes, I think it's kinda dumb. But what do I know? I'm sure people aren't taking dog food into Canada to feed to their cattle.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: