mild constipation

This is a discussion on mild constipation within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; Has anyone know what to do about mild constipation in a corgo is there anything that is safe that I ...

Join Date Mar 2011
    Location South Australia
    Posts 59
    Blog Entries 2
    Dog(s): Ivan and Danny

mild constipation

Has anyone know what to do about mild constipation in a corgo
    is there anything that is safe that I can give him
    he has lots of excercise and has a healthy diet
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    The number one regulator i have found... both for diarhea AND Constipation is .....PUMPKIN.. just plain , No sugar or spice added, 100% pumpkin. You can usually find it in the grocery store in the baking isle (think pie filling ) just make sure to check the label that they did not add sugar or spices. I give my boys a couple teaspoons of it per meal daily and they do quite well.

I also would add a little extra water to their food if possible.. any extra hydration can help with constipation...

Emilie
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,747
    Like Emilie said, the wonderful, WONDERFUL power of pumpkin. Constipated? PUMPKIN! Diarrhea? PUMPKIN! Weight control? PUMPKIN! I keep some in the freezer. I use my cookie scoop as a measure, put it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. After frozen, place them in a zip lock bag. That's one of the dog's treats.
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location South Australia
    Posts 59
    Blog Entries 2
    thanks heaps for this advice to you both
    I will have a go and buy some pumkin today
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    I keep some in the freezer. I use my cookie scoop as a measure, put it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. After frozen, place them in a zip lock bag.
    That's an excellent idea!!! Thanks!
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
    Posts 313
    Dog(s): Oliver (aka Oliver Wood With a Twist)
    PUMPKIN! I keep some in the freezer. I use my cookie scoop as a measure, put it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. After frozen, place them in a zip lock bag.
    Similar idea, but I use ice cube trays.
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location South Australia
    Posts 59
    Blog Entries 2
    the pumpkin seems to be working
    it's been over a week now since Ivan has has had this additional 'treat'to his diet
    thanks everyone
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location Under the big sky of Montana
    Posts 706
    Dog(s): Miss Panda Pooh
    the pumpkin seems to be working
    it's been over a week now since Ivan has has had this additional 'treat'to his diet
    thanks everyone
    Yay! Pumpkin ... What a brilliantly simple solution. I love your signature pic ... Danny and Ivan are both very handsome.
    Happiness is a warm puppy. ~Charles M. Schulz
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location South Australia
    Posts 59
    Blog Entries 2

Smile

Danny and Ivan say thanks to your comments with big smiles.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    glad to hear that the pumpkin is working well.. it is really a great helper in my house with my two boys!
    Join Date Sep 2012
    Posts 1

Pumpkin for constipation

Just gave Rex some 100% pure pumpkin. I was so happy to see a solution to his "problem". I'll let you know in a few days how we are doing. Thanks much. :shake
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,705
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Pumpkin is not a "cure' for constipation. If you are giving your Corgi dry food only he/she should be also having his meals supplemented with fresh veggies (raw preferable) of which pumpkin is the best followed by carrots (esp baby carrots) and then a whole range of veggies; and/or canned dog food pref those which matches or surpasses AAFCO standards; and/or cooked carbohydrates (brown rice, pasta, potatoes) and/or diced cooked meat. The causes for a constipated dog can be many and a solely dry food diet can be one of them.
    Avoid giving bones of any type and make sure your Corgi is not ingesting anything that he shouldn't such as items left lying around the house.
    Join Date Sep 2012
    Location Orange County, NY
    Posts 2
    Dog(s): Skye
    I give both my dogs, Corgi and Lab, a small amount of flaxseed meal. Helps both of them with any hard time going. It is also excellent for joints and coat.
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,705
    Dog(s): Taylor
    Flaxseed is great for dogs and there are premium processed dog food on the market which includes flaxseed. Coconut oil is even better for a whole range of things including helping to relieve the pain and discomfort of arthritis and sore joints. I note that some dog food also include coconut oil.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,747
    No pumpkin is not a "cure" for constipation, Michael, but for the occasionlly bout of it. Of course, a good diet and water is the best.