ACL injury/recovery

This is a discussion on ACL injury/recovery within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; Hi I am new to this forum, and glad to have found it. Our dog Ryder suffered a ACL injury ...

Join Date Aug 2011
    Posts 1

ACL injury/recovery

Hi I am new to this forum, and glad to have found it. Our dog Ryder suffered a ACL injury last week, (confirmed by two doctors) He is scheduled for surgery on Friday. I have read that he won't be allowed/able to jump and run fast afterwards. Is there any truth to this? Or is it only temporary during his recovery. He is only 6 and loves to play soccer so much!!! I would hate to take that game away from Him. Any help or recovery advice would be so great!

paul and samantha
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    Welcome Paul and samatha and Ryder. I dont have advice on this as i have not dealt with this injury but i am sure there will be others who can give some advice . My understanding is that the down time is only while recouperating from surgery and while doing physical therapy. I know of someone who's agility corgi had the acl surgery and he was able to do agility after he fully healed from his surgery.. I just think they have to take it easy for a while after surgery..

Hopefully others may weigh in on this..

Welcome and sorry to hear about poor Ryder's ACL injury.

Emilie
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,464
    Hi I am new to this forum, and glad to have found it. Our dog Ryder suffered a ACL injury last week, (confirmed by two doctors) He is scheduled for surgery on Friday. I have read that he won't be allowed/able to jump and run fast afterwards. Is there any truth to this? Or is it only temporary during his recovery. He is only 6 and loves to play soccer so much!!! I would hate to take that game away from Him. Any help or recovery advice would be so great!
    His jumping days may well be over. He will be able to run again once he recovers.

No dog recovering from any kind of surgery should be allowed to jump or run.

You'll have to find some things to keep him occupied while he's on crate rest as he will be for at least a week after surgery. Maybe longer. Your vet will advise you on that.

Things like stuffed kongs, chew toys, or even some of the dog puzzle games will be good for him while he's recovering.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Pennsylvania
    Posts 1,727
    Dog(s): Blizzard, blue merle & Sooner, brindle
    Sending you healing thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among stars. Les Brown
    Join Date Apr 2011
    Location Oregon
    Posts 17
    Dog(s): Patch
    Our twelve year old PC Patch went through this about a year ago. Surgery (the stabilization not the bone restructuring - total cost about $1500) and recovery went well. Our vet also gave her drug therapy in the form of Adequan injections and was very pleased with the result. He felt she was consistently two weeks ahead of schedule in her recuperation. On his recommendation we still give her injections and likely will for the remainder of her life
    She is back to normal now with no sign of a limp. Even her fur re-growth issue which I posted about is gone. Her coat is back to it's full and glorious status.
    She feels she can do anything but we do restrict the crazy runs through the house (too many jolting stops and changes of direction) and the full out ball chasing she used to love. We just don't want to invite any trouble. Other than that the only problem we have is holding her back.
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Austin,TX
    Posts 12
    Blog Entries 1
    Dog(s): Casey Cook
    Hey Paul & Samantha,
    my corgi also tore her ACL when she was younger...my husband and I opted out of the surgery. She was down for a few weeks, but she was back to normal in no time and she has remained very active. I do give her Joint Resolution from www.happytailsspa.com as a preventative measure. Its an all natural supplement with awesome ingredients. I hope this helps and i'm sure you Ryder will be back to new before you know it.