Heartworm medicine and diarrhea?

This is a discussion on Heartworm medicine and diarrhea? within the Health Issues & Questions forums, part of the Health & Wellness category; Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their furbabies and their monthly heartworm medication. Last month ...

Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Dog(s): Rufus

Heartworm medicine and diarrhea?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their furbabies and their monthly heartworm medication.

Last month when we gave Rufus his first dose, he had runnier poop for about a day. I didn't really think too much of it, since he had gotten his last parvo shot that day. This month, same thing. I gave him the pill at lunch today mixed in with his food and he has had horrible gas and had diarrhea tonight. I didn't really think to make the connection until it happened tonight.

Nothing about his diet has changed at all. We're still feeding him the same kind of treats, same dry food, same wet food mixed in (about 1 teaspoon per meal).

If the diarrhea continues tonight and tomorrow morning we'll bring him to the vet first thing tomorrow, because I would assume then it's not just the heartworm meds, but just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Also, if it is the heartworm meds, are there a few different brands out there, or are we doomed to diarrhea episodes monthly?

Also, for fun, a more updated picture of Rufus:

Last edited by cc11782n; 03-16-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    Dillon had some issues with Hartgard heartworm chewables when he was a puppy.. he would have softer poop later the same day as his pill. When we switched him over to the interceptor, the problem stopped. But I hear that there have been some issues getting interceptor lately due to some manufacturing issues..

What kind of heartworm pill are you giving? brand and type.. For dillon it was something in the beef flavored chews that hartgard put their meds in.

Rufus is adorable!

Emilie
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Aww thanks! That picture isn't even the most recent. I've been so bad about uploading them onto my laptop though. That's him after his first bath

Our vet gave us Virbac (company) Iverhart Plus (brand). The actual medicine is ivermectin/pyrantel. It's just a tablet that looks like a tylenol tablet basically.

I mixed it in with a bit of his wet food and I made a little "ball" out of it, then gave it to him like it was a treat. He swallowed it right away, so I know he definitely took it.

This morning his poop was fine. This afternoon at lunch it was ok, then he went a second time and it was a little softer - all RIGHT after taking the medicine/eating lunch. The next time he pooped was with me at around 6:30-7 and it wasn't TOTALLY diarrhea. I'd say half really soft poop half mushy not formed poop.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Singapore
    Posts 595
    Dog(s): Chubby
    Lol, with his ears back and round body he looked like an otter for a second there 0.0 So cute
    Join Date Feb 2006
    Location Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts 4,420
    What a doll!

Iverhart is sort of a "generic" Heartgard. Knock wood, I haven't had any problems using any of the heart worm preventatives. The pyrantel is a de-wormer and that possibly could be contributing to the diarrhea. There are some dog breeds (collies, shelties, aussies, etc.) which cannot safely take ivermectin due to a genetic mutation. It is rare, but possible, a corgi might have an adverse reaction to it as well. I think it would be a good idea to at least discuss Rufus' reaction to his monthly preventative and see if a change of brands might be warranted.

Debbie
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    Not sure if you're still interested, since it's a different brand...but for me there is usually one soft/loose bm the morning after heart worm meds. Some people see a difference between brands, but both Interceptor and Heartguard seem to give a bit of messy butt to my guys .
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Thanks for your advice/opinions!! I'll definitely discuss it with the vet the next time we go back (at 6 months for neutering). Maybe we can switch the medicine then. Although, he might just end up having the same reaction anyway. Worth a shot to try to switch it I think.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location East Tennessee
    Posts 784
    For those of you that have had your furry friends on Interceptor, good news...it's back! I was informed by Bubba's vet last week they're getting in a supply next month. I have one pill left so, fortunately I won't have to give him the Heartgard Plus I had to buy and intend on exchanging it.
    Kids are for people that can't have dogs.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    oh that is fantastic news. I am going to call the vet to get them to hold me a pack since i have enough to get the boys through May and then i would need to pick up another year's supply. Glad i dont have to switch .. i really prefer the interceptor!

Emilie