Like Tree15Likes

Floppy Ears and Ear Taping

This is a discussion on Floppy Ears and Ear Taping within the Puppy Development & Socialization forums, part of the Puppy Matters category; I hope I'm putting this in the right section. Anyway, my 12 week old cardi girl still has folded ears. ...

Join Date Apr 2012
    Location Ipswich, QLD Australia
    Posts 20
    Dog(s): MissJiff

Floppy Ears and Ear Taping

I hope I'm putting this in the right section.

Anyway, my 12 week old cardi girl still has folded ears. When I picked her up from the breeder I was told she has the heavier ears but they will eventually stand up on their own, but after having a conversation with a fellow cardi owner I'm a little confused. I've been told that heavier ears must be assisted to stand up (ear taping) and I shouldn't leave it too late because otherwise, her ears will be folded forever. Apparently 12 weeks is far too old to have folded ears.

I've looked into ear taping and although I would much rather let her ears come up naturally, I will do it. Just wondering if any other cardi owners have had this problem, and any hints on ear taping would be appreciated. As this is my first corgi I've never done it before.

Attached is a photo of my girl. As you can see her ears are pretty floppy.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MissJiff; 05-16-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    fosandebo, Blazer and agilecorgis like this.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Location Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts 280
    Dog(s): Tony (me), Fos (male Cardi), Ebo (female Cardi)
    Hi MissJiff

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your blue merle is adorable! She has beautiful colours and markings. And look at those eyes!!!

Check this out: Untitled Document

You might also be interested to take a look at this thread from post #21 onwards: Fos and Ebo

Also, at the top of the webpage you'll find an 'Advanced Search' button into which you can type the words: tape ears

Welcome to the forum and hope this helps.
    Last edited by fosandebo; 05-16-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    JJ Panda and MissJiff like this.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    I personally would tape her ears. The longer they are down, the harder it can be to get them to stand on their own, and it doesn't look like her's are trying very hard to stand yet. It's definitely not too late to get them up though. (and she is sooo cute btw!)

This is the method I used, but I used all 1.5" or 2" width masking tape:
    Ear taping | C-Myste
    MissJiff likes this.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    I totally agree about the taping.. better to start it now.. she does look like she has some pretty heavy ears..I agree that using masking tape is the best thing to use..Also, best that once you tape them to leave them alone and not keep peeking until the tape comes off. the more you take it off and put it back on , the more hair you end up pulling out. I had to tape Dillon's ears as they were awfully heavy and flopping... now he has nice stand up ears but we did tape for a few weeks ..and i took the tape off once to see how they were doing and wont make that mistake again on the next corgi i have that may need ear taping.

Now your little girl is so darn cute! I love her coloring and she has the most beautiful eyes and I would totally be smooching that nose of hers! so cute!

Emilie
    MissJiff likes this.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 20
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. Jiffy will be seeing a vet tomorrow for her vaccinations so I will discuss the ear taping with him/her as well. I also heard from her breeder and he gave me some very helpful hints on taping also. I guess her ears were heavier than he first thought.

I'm a little bit nervous about the taping procedure but I will follow the guide as well as I can. Poor little Jiffy, she's going to look strange for a while but it'll be worth it. Nobody believes me that she's corgi with her ears down (that's an Aussie Shepherd riiiight?), and those perky rounded ears are one of my fave features of the breed. <3

Thanks again! I may post some photos of Jiff with her ears taped.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 280
    Poor little Jiffy, she's going to look strange for a while but it'll be worth it.
    I find ears taped up makes for an incredibly cute puppy, incredibly cute indeed.

I'm a little bit nervous about the taping procedure but I will follow the guide as well as I can.
    I found in Fos' experience:
    - That at first he tried very hard not to let me tape his ears and then, when they were taped, he tried very hard to get the tape off. However, over time he got used to it and just gave in, letting us tape his ears and no longer bothers trying to take it off.
    - It's easier taping ears at first with two of you doing it (one taping, one holding the pup).
    - It's easier taping ears feeding a regular or constant supply of small treats/rewards for demonstrated and ongoing cooperative behaviour.
    - When the tape eventually comes off again and again, we only noticed a marked improvement in the erection of Fos' one limpy ear once we started adding yoghurt to his kibble.
    - Ebo always tries to pull the tape off Fos' ears so, with just the one puppy, it will hopefully be easier for you. (Fingers crossed).
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 20
    Thankyou for the tips! Yes I will enlist my partner to help me. He's already volunteered anyway and we'll probably do it when she's sleepy because then she's like a rag doll. I'll try adding some yogurt and cottage cheese to her diet as well. How much would you recommend?
    Her breeder told me I should use a kind of medical tape that isn't too sticky. I'm going to be so worried about hurting her when I take the tape off... but I'm hoping the vet will give me something when she gets her next round of vaccinations tomorrow.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    You can try using the blue painters tape which doesn't have as strong as an adhesive on it. It didn't work for us though, it was too easy for the puppy to get it off. If you leave the tape on for several days and just let it work its way off it on its own, it won't pull all that much.

I wouldn't really count on your vet to be knowledgable in this area to be honest, most probably have no clue what the proper ear set is for a cardigan let alone how to tape them up.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    we also tried the blue painter's masking tape and it didnt work for us either. it came off way too easily and didn't hold the ear well. Regular masking tape was what worked for us. I agree that the vet would not necessarily be a good resource for helping with ear taping, unless they had personal breed experience.

I would chose either yogurt or cottage cheese. Some folks like the cottage cheese better and others the yogurt. I am a yogurt person .. low fat organic plain - the yogurt not only has the calcium but also has good bacteria that helps with digestion so for me, it is a two for one item.. I put about a tablespoon in the food twice a day.. started it when Dillon was a puppy and have continued with it his whole life.. They like it, it is good for them and helps with good digestion.. for me a win win..

Emilie
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Posts 180
    I agree with Westwood, your vet isn't going to know much about Corgi ears. I think I read somewhere about using moleskin under the tape for both support and to decrease the area of pulling. Maybe someone can help with that.

Lucy gets 1-2 teaspoons of yogurt in the AM with her kibble and about 1-2 teaspoons of cottage cheese for lunch along with a few baby carrots.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 280
    Our vet is one of the best ones in our area and I've come to learn everyone who works there has minimal or no knowledge about Cardi's just simply because Cardi's are few and far between. For example, we've met two of the vets working at this vet surgery/clinic so far - one had never heard of taping the ears and the other said studies indicate it's a load of hogwash and that the ears will stand up of their own accord eventually (which I'm 100% certain is false in Fos' case). Fos' one floppy ear started standing on its own only today and he turns 18 weeks tomorrow; this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't done what I learned to do from this forum, and it wouldn't have taken so long if I had started doing it at 10 weeks of age. Corgi forums are the best source of Corgi information.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 20
    Well the mission is complete and Jiffy's ears are taped! It took us two attempts, with the first being a fail. We thought it would be best to layer medical tape on each side of the ear then add a bridge across the back with duct tape to keep them up. She seemed to cope with it just fine but the next day we noticed it was starting to come off. We called Jiffy's breeder and he talked us through his method step by step, and it was so much quicker and simpler than our first attempt! Jiffy isn't bothered by the tape in the slightest, she's still her happy and wonderful self. I wish we'd just done it this way from the start.
    Even though her ears had only been taped for a short time, when we took the first attempt off there was a massive difference in both ears. Both were up but her right ear was struggling. I expected them to just flop straight back down as they'd only been taped for several hours.

The vet wasn't useful, but wasn't a waste of time either I suppose. If I was a bit stupid I would have found his advice useful I guess. He pretty much told me everything I already knew, about being careful with the type of tape I choose and not to obstruct the ear canal because of infection. I really only bothered to mention it to him because I thought they might have a kind of medical tape there I could use, but we found one at a pharmacy that worked wonderfully.

And she loved the yogurt! I added a couple of teaspoons into her dinner tonight and she certainly ate more ravenously than usual! I think I'll continue giving it to her.

I'll post some photos of Jiffy with her ears taped soon.
    fosandebo likes this.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    Glad that you got the task done and that she likes her food mixed with the yogurt! Mine love that stuff!! In fact, for a nice summertime treat, you can mix plain yogurt with a little bit of peanutbutter and honey (for a cup of yogurt, i put in about 2 tablespoons of peanutbutter and about 1/2 a tablespoon of honey) and freeze it either in small cups( i use tupperware and hold it for the boys to lick) or in a kong ( just put a little bit of Peanut butter in the hole on the bottom to keep the yogurt from coming out the bottom. The boys LOVE this treat. You can also do it with other mix in's for the yogurt instead of peanut butter.. like mashed banana or pumpkin or mashed strawberries or blueberries.

I cannot wait to see the photos of your pretty girl with her ears taped!

Emilie
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 20
    I didn't manage to get any photos of her with her ears taped, but I do have some of her with her ears up! It worked really well. The left ear is just slightly weaker than the right but I'm hoping it will come good by itself. She looks so gorgeous with her ears up in my opinion!

I'm sure she would love to try some peanut butter and honey! I will offer it to her, and the mashed banana and strawberries yumm... <333
    Attached Images
    fosandebo likes this.
    Join Date Aug 2006
    Posts 4,320
    oh will you LOOK at those EARS! sooooo CUTE! She has lift off! They are lovely perky looking ears. Glad the taping worked. keep in mind as she is teething, you may have an ear droop again.. just re-tape if that happens..

She is such a lovely corgi.. her eyes are such a beautiful color and she has a sweet looking face! I hope you will share more photos as she grows ..she is too lovely not to share

Emilie
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: