Are Corgis "large" or "small" breed dogs?

This is a discussion on Are Corgis "large" or "small" breed dogs? within the Puppy Feeding forums, part of the Puppy Matters category; I've been wondering what to feed my Corgi puppy. The breeder gave me some Eukanuba large breed puppy food, but ...

Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 11

Are Corgis "large" or "small" breed dogs?

I've been wondering what to feed my Corgi puppy. The breeder gave me some Eukanuba large breed puppy food, but I always thought Corgis were "medium" sized dogs. When I switch foods (because I don't think my puppy likes the Eukanuba, the kibble size is too big), should I lean towards the large or small breed foods? Does it matter? What do you generally feed yours (brand)?

Thanks!
    -Akshay
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Carrollton, TX (Dallas area)
    Posts 36
    I know many foods have a "medium" breed size that you can get, if you're so inclined (this is what I got in the Eukanuba brand when I fed Roscoe that). I'm not totally well-versed in kinds of dog food, but there are many brands that don't have a size description at all.

I currently feed my dog Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul, which is ok, but his poops aren't the best on it. I think I'm going to switch him to a Wellness adult food.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    I've been wondering what to feed my Corgi puppy. The breeder gave me some Eukanuba large breed puppy food, but I always thought Corgis were "medium" sized dogs. When I switch foods (because I don't think my puppy likes the Eukanuba, the kibble size is too big), should I lean towards the large or small breed foods? Does it matter? What do you generally feed yours (brand)?
    My dogs get an all life stages regular food.

Try soaking the food for your puppy. If she's still fairly small sometimes kibble of any size is hard on them. Or if they're teething soaking helps too. I don't think the size is too big for her, I give my puppies good size dogs biscuits and they eat them. Takes awhile but it gives them some chewing pleasure too.

Probably what your breeder was going for was the lesser protein/fat content in the large breed food. It was developed so that the large breeds don't grow as fast. It's been found that the regular puppy formulas, especially the preimum brand can make puppies grow faster than is good for them. The bones and muscles don't grow at the same rate and the puppy can have problems, esp. in the front legs.

Feeding a large breed puppy food or even just an all life stages food to puppies helps prevent the accelerated growth.
    My puppies get the same all life stages forumla that the rest of my dogs eat. My last two litters have been fed this way and they are doing great!

Corgis are medium sized dogs, according to all the weight tables that define a dogs size. Usually medium size is 25-50 lbs. Granted some corgis are smaller than that but the average and the standard for both breeds fall in that catagory.

And there will be disagreements to both my advice on dog food and what a medium sized dog is. Do some research on your own is my suggestion. Or better yet, talk to your breeder and ask why she uses the large breed puppy food and if she thinks corgis are medium sized dogs. Your breeder should be a resource for answers too.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location Texas
    Posts 1,917
    Peggy and your breeder are not the only ones recommending a large breed puppy food or all life stages for Corgis (even though Corgis are medium sized dogs). I read the same recommendation on several breeders' websites, for exactly the reason Peggy mentioned: to slow their growth and avoid skeletal problems later.

I switched Charlie's puppy food 2 or 3 times until we found one he liked that agreed with him. None of them had any "size dog" on the label...just premium brand foods which I was happy with the ingredients. Between 6-7 months I switched him to and all life stages food as well.

Other people have their own favorite sites, but I like the ratings (and more so the reasons behind the ratings) at dogfoodanalysis.com. Most dog and puppy foods have an analysis of ingredients and quality rating there.
    Chris & Charlie

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Corgi!
    Global Moderator
    Join Date Oct 2005
    Location Silverstream (near Wellington, the capital of NZ)
    Posts 8,610
    Dog(s): Taylor
    By all means, feed your Corgi pup with large size bites but soak the quantity that you will give your pup for a meal in a little luke warm water for about 10 minutes.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location Newark, Ohio
    Posts 1,724
    ARGH!!!! The dreaded, "what to feed my puppy question!!!!!!"