Like Tree1Likes

A Good Feeding Schedule

This is a discussion on A Good Feeding Schedule within the Puppy Feeding forums, part of the Puppy Matters category; When my puppy comes home next month, she will be 8 weeks old. She will rarely be home alone since ...

Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Dog(s): Sundance

A Good Feeding Schedule

When my puppy comes home next month, she will be 8 weeks old. She will rarely be home alone since I work only three days a week, part-time. My question is, what would be a good feeding schedule for her on those days? I wake up at 6:00am, leave at 9:30am and come home 3:30 or 4:00pm. I was thinking 6:00am when I wake up, 3:30pm when I get home, and 8:00pm, a couple hours before bed? is 9 and a half hours too long between meals? Should I feed her four times a day instead? What times? We usually go to bed around 10:00pm. So I don't want to feed her dinner too late because we want to be able to take her out to potty before bed, an hour or two after dinner. Also, should she keep the same feeding schedule every day, even on the days I don't work? And how old until I switch her to less daily feedings? Lots of questions, ha ha, sorry! Thank guys!
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location SGV
    Posts 56
    Dog(s): Peanut
    When I got Peanut at 11weeks old, I fed him 3 times a day, 7am, before I went to school, 3pm when I got out of school and 7pm for dinner. As he reached 6months, I lowered his feeding to twice a day cutting lunch. Now that hes 11months old, I feed him once which is at 12pm. Each time I cut his food, i keep the same equal amount just split it. Of course as he grows, you increase his feeding amount by what the bag says. Even when youre not working, i suggest you keep the same schedule to his feeding so he knows and it gets him used to it. I like keeping the same schedule because you know when he has to go potty and you expect how many times he goes number 2. I know when I fed peanut 3 times a day, I expected 2 poops each time he goes after a meal. So it really helps a lot with potty training also since you'll know when he needs to go. I'm not sure if anybody might agree with me but this worked great for me and i have to say, potty training was a breeze if you feed him the same time everytime.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Okay, thanks. Should I divide the food equally, the same amount each meal? Or should I give her more in the morning since it will be a long time until lunch. For instance, a half cup in morning, a third cup at lunch and a third cup at dinner? If I give her lunch at 4:00 is she even going to be hungry again for dinner at 7:00 or 8:00? Thanks!
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    When my puppy comes home next month, she will be 8 weeks old. She will rarely be home alone since I work only three days a week, part-time. My question is, what would be a good feeding schedule for her on those days?
    Your breeder should discuss this with you. He/she should tell you what they've been doing and advise you on what you should do at home. And they should be able to answer your questions and help you set up a suitable schedule for your puppy. They should also be able to advise you on what to feed her. (I send some of the food home that I've been feeding my puppies.)

Yes, she should be fed on the same schedule every day, even on the days you're home more. Work out a schedule that works for you. Personally I'd feed her three times a day, rather than just before bedtime if need be.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Okay! I'm sure she will let me know when I go to visit in a couple weeks. She's really great. Always posting photos and updates for me, and always available to answer questions. I do know she's feeding her Iams right now, but I am planning on doing a gradual switch to Nutro.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Utah
    Posts 5,501
    Okay! I'm sure she will let me know when I go to visit in a couple weeks. She's really great. Always posting photos and updates for me, and always available to answer questions. I do know she's feeding her Iams right now, but I am planning on doing a gradual switch to Nutro.
    I think that's the best thing to do. If she's available to answer questions, then that's the best source for you. She knows your puppy much better than we do.

Peggy
    --
    Jim & Peggy Newman
    mailto: taflarpwc@yahoo.com
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    That is true. I just like getting a lot of opinions Thanks!
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Dog(s): Rufus
    As Peggy said, the breeder will most definitely usually tell you what schedule she's got the puppies on and how much she's feeding them/how often.

When we picked up Rufus at 8 weeks, we were told feed him three times a day, 1/4 cup of food per meal. The breeder was feeding him Nutro-Max Puppy, and gave us enough for a few days to bring home with us. For us, 3 times a day works out to 6AM (when he wakes us up), noon-1ish, and then around 6 PM. Some days lunch and dinner can end up being a little earlier or a little later depending on when I can take lunch break at work and when he wakes up when I get home, but generally we don't vary by much more than an hour either way.

I agree with everyone though, you should definitely find a schedule that works with yours and feed Sundance on the same schedule every day. That way, like xKlumzhee mentioned, you'll not only get into a routine for feeding, but you'll also know when you go out if you should be waiting for poop or not. Sometimes Rufus will go right away, and sometimes it'll take him a good 10 minutes to decide he wants to go, but, for example, after I feed him dinner at 6, I know that around 9 when we go out, he's going to have to poop.

Plus, (and I had this hammered home big time when we were housebreaking Rufus), keeping them on the same schedule in terms of bathroom/feeding helps with the housebreaking. If you read any of the other threads about housebreaking, and people who are having trouble, a lot of the time it's because they haven't established any kind of schedule or routine for going outside. We picked Rufus up and carried him out immediately after we let him out of the crate the first few weeks, until he learned he had to hold it until we got out the door. Now, we open the crate door, and he knows to walk with us to the door and wait for us to put on his leash.

Which Nutro food are you planning on feeding Sundance?
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Which Nutro food are you planning on feeding Sundance?
    I think the Nutro Max. Is there a huge difference between them?

Thanks for the tips!
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    LOL, you'll get tons of opinions on here about what food you should feed your puppy. There have been some really spirited threads about different foods, and I even asked a ton of questions at the beginning about wet food versus dry food, and various brands.

Generally, as long as the food details that it is an "All Life Stages" food then it's safe to feed your puppy. Some people don't believe in specific "puppy" foods, some people advocate them, so it's really what you prefer/can afford. One of the main concerns is the protein content. I was told that you shouldn't be feeding a puppy food with over 25-28% protein content in it - since it can cause problems with their growth.

I was just curious though Rufus started on Nutro-Max puppy, but his poop wasn't normal looking - it looked more like soft serve ice cream swirls than harder pieces. We had planned on switching him over to another food - one for all life stages, and when we made the switch we ended up with Canidae. Now, he seems much more "normal" in terms of his bathroom habits. For some people, their dogs can't handle the Canidae - so it really depends on your individual puppy and what seems to work best for them.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Okay. So I've been reading around here about dog foods. So much controversy! LOL. So, Canidae sounds great but it's hard to find in my area for some reason. Not available at Petsmart of Petco. I found a scary article about Nutro being investigated by the FDA in 2009 for deaths and sickness. I read Innova isn't good because it contains grains. Wellness sounds good. So, Canidae is the only one of these that are available in "all life stages", right? Without causing any chaos, can I ask why people recommend "all life stages" over puppy food? Because of the protein thing? If puppy food has less than 30% protein, it's okay though, right? Not sure what to do. I have a month to decide, so I guess I will just keep reading
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location New York
    Posts 284
    Blog Entries 11
    Okay. So I've been reading around here about dog foods. So much controversy! LOL. So, Canidae sounds great but it's hard to find in my area for some reason. Not available at Petsmart of Petco. I found a scary article about Nutro being investigated by the FDA in 2009 for deaths and sickness. I read Innova isn't good because it contains grains. Wellness sounds good. So, Canidae is the only one of these that are available in "all life stages", right? Without causing any chaos, can I ask why people recommend "all life stages" over puppy food? Because of the protein thing? If puppy food has less than 30% protein, it's okay though, right? Not sure what to do. I have a month to decide, so I guess I will just keep reading
    The "higher end" brands like Canidae, and Fromms are usually not sold at the chain stores. I have a family-owned Pet Nutrition Center right by me that carries all of the brands you see in pet store chains, plus "higher end" brands that are hard to find. If you've been hunting through the threads about nutrition, you should have stumbled across a link to a website that has dog food ratings, from 6-star to 1-star (for both wet and dry - I've included it below for you). Basically, what I ended up doing was printing out the whole 6, 5, and 4 star list of dry food, and going through each brand's website to determine 1) protein content, 2) if food was ALS (All Life Stages), and 3) If I could get it near where I live.

I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding your puppy a food that has grain in it. The main problem with grains is that some foods have them as the main ingredient - so you need to feed your dog more to get the same nutritional content. Some dogs are allergic to certain grains, and that's why lots of companies are manufacturing grain-free formulas. The downside to the grain-free stuff (from what I saw) is that the protein content is higher.

Since I started doing research on food myself awhile back, I've come to equate it to my diet. So, when I look at labels/content I think, "Would this be a well-rounded diet for me based on what the ingredients are?". For example, some of the brands of pet food you find in the supermarket have corn listed as the first ingredient - which is equivalent to me eating a McDonald's salad. Not terrible, but not as nutritious as it could be since it's highly processed. The Canidae I feed Rufus now has 4 different types of meat as the first 4 ingredients, followed by various fruits and veggies.

I'm not sure of the EXACT reason people advocate all life stages food over puppy food - I just know the benefit (for us) is that we made the switch and now we don't have to worry about switching again or when to switch Rufus off of puppy food.

I found PLENTY of food that's all life stages. If you go on the website for a specific company you should be able to find out if a specific line is or isnt. I think most kibble is unless it's specified for seniors, or has high protein content or is grain free. I know Wellness has a specific puppy formula (we mix in some of the Wellness puppy wet food with Rufus' kibble).

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Wisconsin
    Posts 782
    Dog(s): Henry & Luke
    Most people recommend and all life stages or at least a large breed puppy formula for corgis to keep them growing slowly. The super premium puppy foods make them grow like crazy which isn't good for their health in the long run.

Grains are fine in moderation. Not all dogs can even handle a grain-free food (my pem can't, too rich for him). I would avoid any food that had corn or other grain as the main ingredient though, usually those are seen in the supermarket type brands.
    cc11782n likes this.
    Join Date Feb 2012
    Location Tampa, FL
    Posts 157
    Thanks, guys. All your points of view are really helping me to make an informed decision. So what is it exactly about puppy foods that cause the rapid growth? The protein? Protein 25-28% is okay though, right? I was leaning towards the Nutro Max Puppy because it was recommended by a few people I know, it's affordable and sold at the local Petco. But looking at the ingredients now, lots of grain and corn as main ingredients. Wellness Core is not recommended for puppies, just the regular Wellness for Puppy. The Orijen Puppy has 40% protein. Isn't that a lot? I really like Innova now. And Blue Buffalo too. Are there any cons to the "all life stages" foods? I think the bottom line is, I think, is, no matter what food I choose, I will keep an eye on how her food is effecting her, and be open to changing brands if needed. Thanks guys! CC, i will definitely check out that website, thank you.
    Last edited by Sunny Tampa; 02-29-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location PA
    Posts 2,637
    So what is it exactly about puppy foods that cause the rapid growth?
    It's actually a variety of things, but (basically) comes down to puppy food being "super charged" with extras that can cause uneven and rapid growth.

But I think I want to look into the "all life stages" foods. It can't hurt, right? Are there any cons?
    IMO: No, all life stages (ALS) food can't hurt. Pros/Cons are a matter of opinion, but I would strongly suggest if you do go with puppy food, choose one formulated for large breeds.

here is an easier to read puppy food on muscleskeletalature (sp) growth paper, I swiped from a large breed forum I also read. Corgi devlopment is most similar to large breeds, so (IMO) it applies: Large Breed Puppy Diet Recommendations
    Last edited by LaRogue; 02-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    Lord Stanley's Cup AND the Lombardi Trophy in the same year, it doesn't get any better than this! Whoo-Hoo!
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: